Registered Oct 2015: Karen Moss, firstname.lastname@example.org
MINNESOTA CENTER FOR ENVIRONMENTAL ADVOCACY
DATE: October 2015
POSITION TITLE: Natural Resources Scientist
SALARY: $50,000 – 65,000, depending on credentials and experience
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Executive Director
JOB STATUS: Full Time
MCEA seeks a Natural Resources Scientist to join its advocacy team in the fall of 2015. The Natural Resources Scientist works collaboratively with MCEA staff and reports to MCEA’s Executive Director.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Provide scientific expertise to support MCEA’s programs;
- Advocate with state and local government agencies and elected officials for MCEA’s positions on natural resources issues, including but not limited to wetland protection and regulation, agricultural drainage, Great Lakes protection, water supply, groundwater, invasive and endangered species, and mining;
- Develop and maintain institutional relationships with government agencies, with NGOs, with academics and other experts, with business, and with private citizens to advance MCEA’s positions;
- Assist with fundraising to support MCEA’s natural resources work;
- Plan for future application of scientific work to support MCEA’s programs; and
- Assist with related legislative issues, including testimony, fact sheets, and lobbying.
OTHER PERFORMANCE CRITERIA
- Strong writing skills (writing sample requested);
- Strong oral presentation skills;
- Ability to act independently and also maintain adequate communication with appropriate MCEA staff and partners;
- Ability to evaluate project ideas and advocacy approaches to ensure they are scientifically defensible, practical, and politically feasible; and
- Experience working with government officials, legislators, and/or media.
- Advanced degree in ecology, environmental science, wildlife biology, hydrology, aquatic ecology, geology, or related subjects; and
- 5+ years of experience in analyzing, developing, implementing, or advocating for natural resources policy for government agency, NGO, academic institution, or other interested parties.
- Background in hydrology;
- Familiarity with water quality models (e.g., BATHTUB; HSPF), and
- Working knowledge of the Minnesota Wetland Conservation Act and wetland plant community classification and delineation.
MCEA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. MCEA IS COMMITTED TO RECRUITING AND RETAINING A DIVERSE STAFF. INDIVIDUALS FROM ALL BACKGROUNDS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
MCEA offers a competitive non-profit salary based on years of relevant experience along with a full benefits package, including vacation and sick leave, a cafeteria plan for health insurance, 401(k) plan, and transportation allowance.
BACKGROUND ON MCEA
The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy (MCEA), founded in 1974, is the legal and scientific voice protecting Minnesota’s environment. With 16 staff members and an annual budget of $1.6 million, MCEA’s lawyers and technical experts work in all three branches of government to ensure that Minnesota’s environmental safeguards are enforced and environmental standards maintained.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter, resume, writing sample and references to email@example.com by October 30, 2015.