The Program Officer reports to the Program Manager and will support a variety of operational and technical aspects of the VCS Program. Principal tasks and responsibilities will include, at a minimum, the following:
· Provide guidance and support to project developers, methodology developers, validation/verification bodies, registries and other stakeholders using the VCS Program, the CCB Standards and the VCS OPR.
- Play a key role in ensuring the quality of projects entering the VCS Program registry system, CCB Standards project list and the VCS OPR, including reviewing project documentation and liaising closely with project stakeholders, analyzing results and making recommendations for improving the system.
Required Knowledge, Experience and Skills
- Manage methodologies being developed under the VCS Program methodology approval process.
- Research contemporary issues and relevant policies affecting both the voluntary and compliance carbon markets, as well as emerging government programs related to climate change.
- Participate in professional training, conferences and other industry events.
- Assist other parts of the organization, as needed.
- A Master’s degree is desirable, in engineering, forestry, environmental studies/sciences or a related field.
- Good understanding of general auditing concepts, especially in the context of GHG mitigation projects, is desirable.
- Knowledge of the forestry, agriculture, energy efficiency or renewable energy sectors. Strong technical knowledge or professional experience in any of these sectors highly desirable.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and to work quickly and accurately, delivering to multiple deadlines.
- Motivated, resourceful, and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical issues to a non-technical audience. Experience in editing and drafting desirable.
Terms and Conditions
- Good interpersonal skills, capable of maintaining professional approach and demeanor in high pressure situations.
- Culturally aware with good ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different cultures.
- Ability to work independently on own initiative and as part of a team.
- Adaptable to the priorities of the organization.
- Fluency in English is essential; fluency in another UN language desirable.
- Experience in graphic design and website coding desirable.
A competitive salary is available and other terms and conditions will be discussed during the application process. Applicants are requested to submit the following documents:
- Cover letter (not to exceed one page) summarizing why you are interested in the position and what value you would bring to VCS.
- Resume/CV (not to exceed two pages).
Please note that this position is only open to applicants who have the legal right to work in the United States.