Rollins is the best college in Florida, but don't just take our word for it. See what the experts are saying. Explore all of the ways Rollins is top-ranked—from our academic excellence and expert faculty to our unparalleled campus and one-of-a-kind study-abroad opportunities.
For the 14th consecutive year, Rollins College has been named a “Great College to Work For”! Be a part of the Rollins experience and find a place where you belong. Ready to join us?
At Rollins, we strive to be responsive, respectful, collaborative, competent, and inclusive in all that we do. Whether serving prospective or current students, alumni, local residents, or our fellow faculty and staff colleagues, these standards define the Rollins service experience.
https://www.rollins.edu/service-excellence/index.html to learn more about our commitment to Service Excellence at Rollins College!
• 15 Days - Paid Time Off (vacation, sick and personal time)
• 10 Days - Paid Holidays
• 5 Days - Paid College Closure Days
• Eligible for Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurances (within 30 days of hire)
• 100% Employer-Funded Health Reimbursement Account ($125+/month)
• 100% Employer-Paid Short & Long Term Disability Insurance
• Domestic Partner Benefits
• 11.5% Employer Retirement Contributions
• Discounted On-Campus Dining Meal Plans
• FREE On-Campus Parking
• FREE Access to Campus Amenities (gyms, pools, library, sporting events and more)
• FREE Full Tuition for Employees and their Families
• Pet Insurance
• 100% Employer-Funded Employee Assistance Program
• Flexible Spending Accounts
• Award-Winning Wellbeing Programs: Blue Rewards, Rally Dollars, Hinge Health Musculoskeletal Coaching
• Plus More!
• Local & National Discount Programs, including Winter Park Locations (i.e. shops, restaurants, gift cards and more)
• FREE E-Training Courses & Professional Development Opportunities
• IT Software & Laptop Discounts (Apple, Lenovo, and more)
• College Bookstore Discounts
• Annual Service Awards & Recognition Programs
• Plus More!
Rollins offers a competitive hourly rate, along with our generous benefits package. https://www.rollins.edu/human-resources/working-at-rollins/why-rollins/benefits.html
The Rollins College Greenhouse is a state-of-the-art roof top facility. Total area for the facility is 2,232 square feet, subdivided into three separate growth zones totaling 1,772 square feet of actual growing space. Additional research/growing space is provided by two Conviron Adaptis A350 growth chambers. Working closely with Rollins College faculty and staff, the Greenhouse Coordinator will ensure a well-maintained facility to provide high quality plants and growth/research facilities to support a full range of research and teaching activities. The Greenhouse Coordinator manages the use of the greenhouse for class projects, faculty research, and student research. Additional responsibilities include maintaining a permanent diverse plant collection, conducting tours for Rollins classes and organizations, and assisting with college field trips. Further responsibilities include liaising with outside organizations and facilitating visitor tours.
• Educational Mission and Research Support
• Coordinate with faculty and staff to set up and take down plants and botanical supplies needed for biology laboratory classes (General Biology, Plant Physiology, Field Botany, Marine Botany, Genetics, etc.). Work with faculty, staff, and students to support research activities and coordinate Greenhouse, or Conviron use.
• Conduct tours for classes and outside organizations such as garden clubs.
• Accompany classes on field trips (typically day trips, not overnight) to assist with plant identification and provide botanical expertise.
• Facility Management and Plant Care
• Collect, cultivate, identify, maintain, and propagate a variety of native and biologically pertinent plant species needed for education and research in a controlled environment. Develop and maintain the permanent collection and providing cultural information.
• Monitor and maintain the heating, cooling and watering systems - Develop expertise utilizing the SEED automated control system to properly regulate the facility. Educate staff, students, and faculty to properly utilize the SEED system as needed to ensure the well being of the plants in the facility.
• Pest and Disease Control - Establish an Integrated Pest Management plan to diagnose and assess pest control using both biological controls and chemical pesticides as needed. Assure compliance with EPA and OSHA guidelines as well as USDA/APHIS permits, records, protocols, and quarantine procedures.
• Apply herbicides, pesticides, fungicides, and fertilizer, ensuring that required government permits are obtained.
• Budget and Finance - Responsible for preparing, tracking, and maintaining the greenhouse budget. Requisition supplies needed to maintain plants and equipment. Inventory and manage supplies, plants, tools, and various equipment used in the maintenance of the facility.
• Communication and Training - Manage 2-4 work study students. Conduct application interviews, train, assign duties, supervise, evaluate, and prepare time-cards. Interact with faculty and staff to determine educational needs and responsibilities.
• Maintain records for Greenhouse and attend professional development events.
• Maintain living displays in the Bush Science Center.
Qualifications & Education:
• Bachelor's Degree in horticulture, or related field (e.g. Biology).
• Two to three years of prior related job experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Ability to work independently.
• Excellent time management skills and organizational skill.
• Possess a broad knowledge and understanding of horticultural, practices and procedures, as well as greenhouse management.
• Knowledge of small tool and equipment use. Must be able to make repairs to watering, heating, cooling, and fertilizing systems.
• Ability to read and understand instructions on chemical labels, safely handle and use hazardous materials.
• Ability to train and supervise the work of others, and to use tact and good judgement when resolving work problems and dealing with the public, students, and staff.
• Possess a valid driver's license, or ability to obtain an Florida driver's license within 30 days of accepting the job, and acceptable MVR are required.
The Coordinator role is a full-time 12-month appointment, scheduled to work 7.5 hours/day, 37.5 hours per week. The schedule for this position is Monday-Friday, 8:30am - 5:00pm.*
*Overtime and weekends may be required as needed.
• Campus-based, front-facing customer service position.
• Ability to work in a physically demanding environment (hot and humid), lifting, carrying, and handling heavy objects and equipment.
Instructions to Applicants:
To apply, please submit an application and upload the following materials:
• Cover Letter
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
About the Greenhouse:
Located atop the Bush Science Center, Rollins' greenhouse is home to more than 800 species of plants and serves as an extension of the College's science labs. From orchids and herbs to the famously odd corpse plant, Rollins' state-of-the-art greenhouse is home to hundreds of plant species from all around the world.
https://www.rollins.edu/greenhouse/ to learn more about the Greenhouse at Rollins!
Diversity & Inclusion at Rollins:
Rollins is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive campus community, and the College celebrates the open exchange of ideas within a climate of civility and mutual respect. We view differences—from race and ethnicity to sexual orientation and political perspectives—as rich opportunities for understanding, learning, and growth. To learn more, please click https://www.rollins.edu/about-rollins/diversity-inclusion/index.html.
Through its mission, Rollins College is firmly committed to creating a just community that embraces multiculturalism; persons from historically under-represented minority groups are therefore encouraged to apply. Rollins does not discriminate on the basis of sex, disability, race, age, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical characteristics, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law, in its educational programs and activities.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/4207308
Copyright ©2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.