JOB TITLE: Environmental Services Director
AGENCY: Coachella Valley Water District
LOCATION: Coachella, CA
FILING DEADLINE: Position open until filled and can close at any time, first review of applications is scheduled for April 3rd, 2023.
SALARY RANGE: $196,704 - $258,888 Annually
The Coachella Valley Water District (CVWD) is seeking a confident, dynamic leader to lead the Environmental Services Department. The ideal candidate will need to be comfortable presenting to the Board of Directors, speaking at public hearings and able to respond quickly to questions and challenges that might arise with a sensitive approach. They will need to have a mindful approach to the environmental concerns and the services provided. Under general direction, plans and directs the Environmental Services Department. Coordinates programs with regulatory agencies to ensure District knowledge of and compliance with applicable regulatory concerns. Reviews new and changing regulations and participates in the development and implementation of procedures and monitoring and reporting programs to ensure operational compliance associated with water, wastewater, stormwater and reclamation systems.
· Develops a proactive environmental information program supportive of the District’s mission and goals through interpretation of applicable environmental laws and guidelines.
· Plans and directs management assessments relating to environmental regulatory requirements, including water quality, recycled water management, biosolids, hazardous waste, storm water management and pre-treatment programs. Performs research and analysis and evaluates alternatives. Discusses findings with District Management and Board of Directors. Makes recommendations regarding policy and practices.
· Coordinates with other agencies at all government levels, with environmental and natural resource agencies, and with the regulatory agencies to address critical environmental issues affecting present or future District projects.
· Manages District programs for compliance with California Environmental Quality Act and National Environmental Policy Act.
· Establishes and maintains relationships with community environmental groups to obtain and discuss ideas and concerns about existing and proposed District projects and advises District staff accordingly.
· Provides leadership and works closely with staff to ensure customer service-oriented work environment, budgets are followed, evaluates job performance and provides objectives and training opportunities.
· Oversees Sustainable Groundwater Management Act compliance and planning activities and Groundwater Sustainability Agency functions, including related groundwater producer monitoring for Replenishment Assessment Charge programs and preparation of Engineer’s Report on Water Supply and Replenishment Assessment.
· Oversees water quality sampling and analysis programs to ensure compliance with local, state and federal water quality regulations, including the Clean Water Act, Safe Drinking Water Act, National Pollution Discharge Elimination System, and Porter-Cologne Water Quality Control Act.
· Oversees the inventory of CVWD groundwater and surface water assets including water rights and water usage.
· Oversees the State of California Well Numbering program for the Coachella Valley.
· Oversees the permitting, inspection and compliance monitoring of CVWD commercial sanitation accounts to ensure compliance with CVWD Rules and Regulations for Sanitation Service.
· Oversees the development of appropriate environmental documents to achieve environmental compliance for CVWD capital projects and maintenance activities.
· Coordinates closely with the Director of Engineering and Environmental Assessment Committee (EAC) Chairperson in the preparation of documents, agendas, and schedules for EAC meetings.
· Oversees biological habitat programs to ensure compliance with environmental regulations and multi-species habitat conservation programs.
· Oversees water quality, water resource, environmental and biological research that provides practical scientific information to improve CVWD performance.
· Prepares annual operating and capital budgets for consideration by District Board of Directors.
· Performs related duties as assigned.
· Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent from an accredited college or university with a major in environmental science, biology, environmental engineering or a closely related field.
· Experience: Ten (10) years or more of broad and extensive experience in water quality, water resource, source control, environmental and biological management with at least five (5) years of supervisory experience in one or more of these areas.
The valley contains the resort cities of Palm Springs and Palm Desert, as well as Rancho Mirage, Indio, Coachella, La Quinta, Indian Wells and Cathedral City altogether. With more than 350 days of sunshine per year and the warmest winters in the western US – though summer can be quite hot – recreational hiking and horseback riding are popular in the many canyons in the mountains that surround the valley. Roughly 125 golf courses blanket the area, making it one of the world’s premier golf destinations and is the most popular golf vacation destination in California.
For more details about this opportunity, please visit the job brochure at: https://koffassociates.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Coachella-Valley-Water-District-Env-7.pdf.
To be considered, please electronically submit your resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) professional references (references will not be contacted in the early stages of the recruitment) at: https://koffassociates.com/director-of-environmental-services/. Resumes should reflect years and months of positions held, as well as projects you have led or overseen.
If you have additional questions, please contact the Recruiter: