Environmental Advocates NY seeks candidates for our Director of Campaigns position. The Director of Campaigns is a full-time, exempt, management position that reports to the Deputy Director and leads our community outreach and engagement. We seek candidates who are highly motivated to change public policy and further environmental justice.
Environmental Advocates NY’s Director of Campaigns develops and implements projects that engage a range of stakeholders, individuals, and local governments in education and advocacy efforts so that our work to change environmental policy is inclusive and accessible to all New Yorkers. Using grassroots education advocacy to effect policy change and to organize advocates for the purpose of holding public officials accountable, this position will engage a sizable activist and partner network to advocate for environmental legislation and regulations, implementation and enforcement of state environmental laws and policies. Our top priorities are: implementation of the State’s climate law, electrification of vehicles and buildings, development of safe drinking water standards and establishing vibrant communities for all.
We are looking for a committed and creative individual with a background in community organizing and engagement to lead our efforts. We seek candidates who are highly motivated to secure stronger environmental protections for all New Yorkers.
We strongly encourage candidates from diverse and underrepresented backgrounds to apply. Justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion (JEDI) is a core value for Environmental Advocates NY. We invite applicants to read our statement on racial justice here to learn more about our JEDI commitments.
· Develop and implement strategies for engaging and cultivating current advocates, growing advocate base, and increasing the number of New Yorkers fighting for a better environment; ;
· Develop and implement strategies to build a broader base of support and engage community groups and individuals in the organization’s policy advocacy;
· Develop and implement strategies to enhance relationships with local governments to advance our policy goals;
· Grow and steward relationships with partners (including grassroots, community, non-profit, and local government);
· Promote the organization and increase visibility by arranging events, identifying and staffing engagement opportunities, and hosting or participating in other partner sponsored events;
· Collaborate with policy and communications colleagues in the development of campaign plans and outreach materials;
· Collaborate with development colleagues on donor support and fundraising materials;
· Provide supervision to the Campaigns Associate; and
· Participate and lead in organizational Justice, Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion work.
· Three to five years of experience in community organizing for nonprofit organizations, or comparable experience;
· Passion for environmental protection and social justice;
· Experience planning and launching policy campaigns;
· Experience managing staff and/or volunteers;
· Commitment to and leadership experience in justice, equity, diversity and inclusion initiatives;
· Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to lead and work as part of a team;
· Excellent written and oral communications skills and ability to serve as a public representative of the organization;
· Experience/interest in digital organizing, developing digital assets, especially social media content;
· Ability to travel as needed around the state.
Compensation & Benefits
The salary range for this position is $60,000-$68,000 annually, dependent upon qualifications and experience. We also offer health benefits, paid time off, retirement savings including an employer contribution. Environmental Advocates NY is an inclusive, vibrant, fast-paced work environment and values work-life balance.
EANY is based in Albany, New York with a few staff based out of New York City. All staff are offered flexible work arrangements with days remote and days in the office. This is an Albany-based position, and the successful applicant would be expected to work out of the Albany office as part of the organization’s hybrid work model.
How to Apply
If this sounds like the job for you, please email your resume and cover letter to Kate Kurera, Deputy Director, at email@example.com. Please reference “Director of Campaigns” in the subject line. No calls please.
Founded in 1969, Environmental Advocates NY is a leading New York non-profit 501(c)(3) organization fighting for a safe climate, clean water, and healthier communities for all. We have devoted more than 50 years of service to the people of New York and have been on the frontlines of every major environmental victory the state has enjoyed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and it is our policy that an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, mental or physical disability, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military or veteran status, domestic violence victim status or any other protected characteristic as established by federal, state or local law is not and will not be considered in any decision regarding recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, layoff, termination, classification, compensation, benefits or other employment action.
Remember to say that you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com!