The world’s environmental challenges continue to grow, and Microsoft’s commitment to environmental sustainability is growing with it. We are committed to ensuring that the company’s activities are in-line with the best available science and the expectations of leading stakeholder communities. The CELA Environmental Sustainability (ES) team coordinates science-based, measurable, and scalable sustainability solutions and outcomes across the entire company. We engage with all of Microsoft’s business groups on the environmental impacts of business operations, and the development of commercial, customer-facing solutions. We also advocate for positive environmental outcomes that can result from technology and policy development.
Microsoft’s sustainability impact narrative, and the related content, is an important aspect of our commitment to environmental sustainability. Microsoft is considered one of the world’s leading sustainability companies with a high level of ambition, many stories to tell, and lessons to share. These stories and lessons – our impact narrative – must be compelling, timely, accurate, and show up in all the right places.
The Microsoft sustainability story is told in several venues and forms. It must scale from a quick summary of the Cloud for Sustainability by a sales leader in a commercial account, to a 60-minute overview of our entire sustainability program in the Executive Briefing Center. We share brief snippets of our sustainability narrative on the state-of-the-art screens of our Microsoft Technology Centers as well as the detailed long form of our story in our 100+ page annual sustainability report. We also demonstrate sustainability leadership through speeches and important meetings at industry events such as COP27 and the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA).
The Director of Sustainability Impact Narrative will be responsible for helping craft and share Microsoft’s sustainability impact narrative and ensure the timely delivery across numerous digital channels and industry events. This position is highly matrixed, and will work within the Environmental Sustainability team, across CELA, with the sales and marketing organizations, and with the company’s business groups and engineering teams. Collaboration and organizational agility are important characteristics of this role.
Own the Sustainability Impact Narrative.
- This position, which has the advantage of proximity and access to all aspects of Microsoft’s sustainability program (operations, science, policy, solutions, and more), must tie together a broad range of disparate corporate activities into a single, thematically clear narrative that can frame the sustainability debate in the context of 1) Microsoft’s operational commitments, 2) the needs of our customers and partners, and 3) the needs of the world (including the global south).
- It must also work closely with other centers of messaging excellence, including CELA’s Government Affairs Team and the MCB Communications Team.
Deliver the annual sustainability Report.
- This core responsibility blends narrative, data-based storytelling, and design to deliver Microsoft’s most important piece of sustainability collateral.
- This role will act as editor in chief, owning the strategy, content and design and managing the development process across a diverse groups of subject matter experts, business groups and executives.
- The sustainability report is published annually but is an all-year project with a three-to-six-month period of high intensity.
Lead strategy for cross-company presence at key sustainability events.
- Microsoft sponsors and participates in several sustainability events, with the UNCFFF Climate COP (Conference of the Parties) and UNGA (United Nations General Assembly) being the two most visible.
- This role will drive alignment on key messages, initiatives and speaking opportunities across regional teams, the sustainability team, government affairs and more.
- Orchestrate and land sustainability thought leadership content. This role will maintain an editorial calendar of thought leadership projects across the sustainability team.
- The includes working with subject matter experts across topics to determine on the best way to land thought leadership with key audiences across web, PR, social, and more. This also includes oversight of lower-level team members who will manage the centralization/organization of all sustainability content.
- Coordinate sustainability messaging presence on key digital surfaces and in key venues. As Sustainability scales up across Microsoft, there are an increasing number of web pages about the sustainability of our products and services.
- A key responsibility of this role will be to coordinate and optimize our sustainability web presence.
- Sustainability also plays an increasingly important role in the ambient messaging across Microsoft Campuses. This includes bespoke digital surfaces (wall size screens) in the Executive Briefing Center and Microsoft Technology Centers. This position must work closely with the leaders of these facilities and deeply integrate sustainability content into these new high production surface areas.
Oversee executive messaging projects.
- Ten percent of this job should be reserved for ad hoc messaging projects that stem from executive engagements in high profile settings.
Align cross-company executive comms.
- This position must develop a business rhythm that enables frequent and close coordination with assorted executive communications professionals
- Bachelor's Degree AND 7+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs,
- or related areaOR 10+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area.
- 10+ years of experience in marketing communications program management or related digital storytelling fields.
- 5+ years of experience in a sustainability related field, including climate or energy.
- Subject matter expertise in climate technologies, products, and markets.
- Excellent business and technical acumen and entrepreneurial, self-directed spirit.
- Strong collaboration and cross-company leadership skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills – a storyteller at heart.
- Growth mindset with attention to detail, follow through, problem solving skills and strong digital marketing communications skills.
- Experience working with a broad cross section of teams on multi-stakeholder initiatives.
- 12+ years experience in corporate social responsibility, philanthropies, corporate affairs, or related area.In-house counsel experience
- 3+ years experience managing a corporate social responsibility or related program.
- 3+ years experience working in or with a large, matrixed organization.
- The ability to relocate to Puget Sound area is preferred. Partially remote candidates with a commitment to travel to Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, WA, will be considered.
Work site: Up to 50% work from home
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Remember to say that you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com!