Location Sustainable Pittsburgh’s office with option for partially remote work
What does it take to be a successful Director of Development at Sustainable Pittsburgh?
The Director of Development will be successful if they consolidate and oversee our efforts to diversify our revenue, provide grant writing and grant-seeking support, and design and scale up our individual and corporate giving programs in order to meet or exceed defined fundraising targets.
You will partner with the Executive Director, the rest of the senior leadership team, and Board of Directors in advancing the mission of Sustainable Pittsburgh by building an organization-wide culture of philanthropy propelled by a mission-driven, donor-focused, data-driven fundraising plan. You will manage all aspects of fundraising at Sustainable Pittsburgh, assuming primary responsibility for the identification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship of annual individual gifts, organizational membership support, major gifts, and corporate sponsorship. You will team with the Executive Director in building relationships, soliciting, and stewarding support from foundation and government sources. Working in close collaboration with the Director of Communications and communications staff, you will ensure fundraising messages are incorporated into organization communications and develop specific donor-focused messaging and communication vehicles. You will participate as a key member of Sustainable Pittsburgh’s senior leadership team, report directly to the Executive Director, and serve as the liaison to the development committee of the Sustainable Pittsburgh Board of Directors.
You will ensure that all appropriate systems, policies, and procedures are in place and adhered to for successful fundraising and donor communications. The Development Director will demonstrate a commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes and creating a results-oriented culture within fundraising and donor communications at Sustainable Pittsburgh. Preferred candidates will be self-motivated, deadline-driven multitaskers.
This position is new, and will have supportive funding for three years, assuming annual fundraising targets are met. The Director of Development will be responsible for building a growing portfolio of no less than $150K in new funding annually by the end of year 3
● Further develop and execute Sustainable Pittsburgh’s strategic fundraising plan, to be informed by our recently-completed organizational fundraising assessment. Incorporated in that plan will be specific strategies for individual giving, organizational membership support, board giving, major giving, corporate sponsorship, foundation and government grants, and special events, with a focus on making effective donor relations and stewardship an organizational priority. Develop and monitor a fundraising budget to support these efforts
● Lead a comprehensive annual giving program to secure support from a balanced mix of donor sources and solicitation programs designed to attract, retain, and motivate donors including but not limited to multi-channel annual appeals, board giving, major gift solicitations, recurring gifting, matching gifts, and giving days. Incorporate specific steps for identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of all levels of donors. Manage the gift acknowledgement process to ensure timely and accurate acknowledgement of all donations to Sustainable Pittsburgh.
● Develop specific strategies for organizational membership. Clearly define, communicate, and deliver membership benefits. Manage membership information accurately in the database. With the Director of Programs, develop specific membership giving strategies for the CEOs for Sustainability program.
● Develop and execute strategies to secure corporate support, work with the Director of Programs and other leadership staff to identify sponsorship opportunities, identify potential sponsors and develop sponsorship benefits. Manage the solicitation and acknowledgment process.
● Responsible for sponsor and organizational membership benefit tracking and fulfillment, with support from other staff as appropriate.
● Work with the Development Committee and the Executive Director to actively engage all board members in the fundraising process, including personal annual financial contributions.
● Research to identify potential foundation and government funders and funding opportunities. Work with Executive Director to plan strategy for building relationships. Develop and track proposals and reports.
● Use special events as part of the comprehensive fundraising and communications plan as an opportunity to build relationships with donors and members (individuals and corporations), raise funds and build awareness in the broader community about the work of Sustainable Pittsburgh.
● Develop and maintain efficient systems and standards for data entry, database accuracy, gift processing, prospect research, and relationship management. Ensure the database’s accuracy and integrity of data, including input and output, technology management and end-user training. We have a Salesforce CRM.
● Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
● Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of five (5) years’ relevant fundraising experience with increasing responsibilities. An alternative combination of education and work experience can be considered in lieu of a degree.
● Extensive knowledge base regarding fundraising. Must demonstrate collaboration and leadership ability as well as a sound understanding of fundraising principles and ethical practices; existing network in the funder community is preferred.
● Demonstrated commitment to cultural competency.
● Must have a commitment to continuing professional and personal learning.
● Requires excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills which transcend diverse audiences
● Ability to work well in a fast-paced and changing environment, to take initiative and to independently manage multiple priorities. Needs to be confident, flexible, organized, and responsible. Needs to be able to consult, problem solve and work collaboratively.
● Must demonstrate commitment to the organization’s vision for a thriving region where stakeholders are connected, sustainability knowledge is shared and applied, and all people can succeed.
● Aptitude for the management and effective use of office software applications and information systems in support of a development program.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: While performing the duties of this job the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. An employee in this position is exposed to conditions relative to a typical office environment, including ambient room temperatures, moderate noise levels, f luorescent lighting and traditional office equipment. Employee will be expected to be able to use personal and/or public transportation. Occasionally, the employee should expect moderate levels of travel within the greater Pittsburgh region.
Salary and Benefits This full time, exempt position offers an approximate salary range of $75,000-$95,000, depending on qualifications and experience, and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical/dental/vision
Application Information Position will be open until filled. Applications encouraged as soon as possible. To apply, please submit your cover letter with salary requirements and resume as a single .pdf with filename “DirectorOfDevelopment-YOURLASTNAME” as an email attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: It is the policy of Sustainable Pittsburgh to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, political affiliation, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Remember to say that you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com!