Good Oak Ecological Services is seeking applicants for an internship in our Madison, Wisconsin office working in the fields of native landscaping and ecological restoration. Primary responsibilities will include installing and caring for native herbaceous and woody plants, invasive species management, natural areas stewardship work, rain garden installation, exotic brush clearing, prescribed burning, equipment maintenance, erosion control and seeding. Through a high-quality and educational work experience, this position will help prepare you for a career in native landscaping or natural areas management.
We are offering two different positions
SPRING: This internship would start on April 4th 2022 and run until mid-late August 2022.
SUMMER: This internship would start mid to late-May 2022 and run until mid-late August 2022.
All candidates must be at least 18 years of age, align with our core competencies, be fully vaccinated against Covid-19, have the ability to stand or walk while working for multiple hours at a time, be willing to work in harsh weather conditions, lift and carry objects weighing up to 75lbs and have a strong commitment to environmental protection. An ideal candidate will be self driven and motivated, curious, compassionate, able to follow instructions and work cooperatively, proficient at communicating clearly, accurately and respectfully and willing to solicit and accept feedback. Preferably, they would also have a few of these additional desirable skills:
- seeking or having a degree in: botany, landscape architecture, horticulture, ecology, forestry, wildlife management, restoration or other related field
- experience with landscaping, composting or permaculture
- experience installing and maintaining perennials, trees and shrubs
- experience identifying plant and animal species
- volunteer experience in natural areas management
- experience operating gas powered tools
- experience and interest in carpentry - pesticide application license
- experience working in a team environment
- experience with hardscaping techniques such as retaining walls, patios and pathways - experience conducting prescribed burns and/or S130/190 certification