The Environmental Scientist supports the New York Power Authority (NYPA)/New York State Canal Corporation (NYSCC) staff to ensure that NYPA/NYSCC meets its environmental regulatory obligations and licensing commitments in a sound and cost-efficient manner. The Environmental Scientist ensures coordination of all attributes of environmental compliance associated with NYPA/NYSCC projects and programs in such topical environmental areas including, but not limited to, fisheries, cultural resources, stream and wetland protection, threatened and endangered species, FERC licensing, and State Environmental Quality Review Act requirements.
- Employ environmental and engineering principles and practices to assess and ensure environmental compliance of utility operations, project permit requirements and licensing commitments.
- Establish and or maintain on-going relationships with a diverse array of regulatory agency staff members for the purpose of sharing technical information and acquiring insight to agency interpretations related to area of expertise.
- Seek out and work with the Law Department, Licensing, Engineering, Project Management and others as appropriate to provide support to accomplish specific tasks within one or more areas of expertise.
- Maintain currency with evolving state and federal agency regulatory requirements regarding environmental issues to communicate complex regulations and related environmental management issues to NYPA/Canals management that could impact NYPA/Canals operations and/or budgets.
- Ensure application of sound environmental management principles to technical issues and in¬field or in-facility activities.
- Support implementation of best management practices at NYPA/Canals facilities that respond to the findings of natural resources studies or are required by permit provisions.
- Develop scopes of services, review bid proposals, evaluate the suitability of proposed vendors and participate in contract negotiations for a broad suite of environmental services; maintain current Trustee approvals; provide quality assurance oversight of vendor services through feedback from other departments.
- Review and interpret State and Federal Regulations in the areas of responsibility that may affect NYPA operations including the preparation of applications to attain/maintain the permits for compliant operation under all applicable regulations and statutes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to develop consensus for action in an operating and/or construction environment.
- Knowledge of state and federal agency regulations regarding environmental issues, hydropower plants, and wetlands.
- Exhibit the knowledge and expertise to serve as the point of contact with outside organizations as the technical expert in his specific area of expertise.
- Strong project management and planning skills; ability to manage contractual matters and consultant work efforts, develop and implement work plans, coordinate the activities of all persons involved in projects to ensure on-time products that meet goals.
- Ability to work with colleagues to coordinate environmental compliance efforts related to issues from NYPA Operating Facilities, Business Units, the regulatory community (including but not limited to NYSDEC, NYCDEP, EPA, and USACE) and NYPA customers as required.
Education, Experience and Certifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; Environmental Science preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Geosciences, Biological Science, Environmental Science, or comparable field.
- An advanced degree and/or Professional Certification in a related field, is preferred.
- Experience in a variety of utility industry issues, vegetation management and environmental permitting with expertise in one or more specific environmental area.
- Approximately 30% travel primarily within NY State.
The New York Power Authority is an Equal Opportunity Employer