ERM is seeking a Principal Consultant, Climate Change to join our growing corporate sustainability and climate change advisory services practice in Washington, D.C. or Boston.
In this role, you will be a key contributor to a team developing and growing ERM’s corporate sustainability and climate change business. ERM delivers a wide range of climate change services including Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosure (TCFD) analysis and reporting, strategy development, policy and regulatory analysis, target setting, and benchmarking. We help clients, including global companies and financial institutions, develop and implement climate change programs across a broad range of industry sectors and contribute to climate, clean energy, and clean transportation policy development.
This is an excellent opportunity for an experienced professional looking to play a key role working with an expert consulting team on leading-edge climate advisory projects for Fortune 500 and privately held clients.
Managing Clients and Projects
- Demonstrates expertise in the evaluation of climate change risks and opportunities, climate and energy policy, and conducting policy and technical analyses.
- Advises and manages climate-related projects including the design and development of GHG inventories (Scopes 1 and 2, with particular emphasis on Scope 3), analysis of emission reduction levers (e.g. energy efficiency measures, renewable energy, decarbonized fuels), and strategic policy assessment and design.
- Supports development of climate change strategy, action planning, and/or modeling of and setting science-based targets.
- Thinks strategically in order to influence decision-makers and outcomes.
- Distills complexity from detail to effectively coach colleagues to deliver high-quality outputs.
- Demonstrates strong project management skills and oversight through the project lifecycle, including scoping, budget and delivery.
- Demonstrates strong analytical skills, excellent writing and presentation skills, and a mastery of impactful client communication.
- Builds strong and trusted relationships with clients and/or business partners
Teamwork and Organization
- Demonstrates strong people management skills; particularly the ability to support, coach and celebrate others in order to advance employee engagement and achieve results.
- Mentors junior staff in the proper planning and execution of projects, and in directing or conducting independent technical reviews of deliverable work products.
- Manages a team of up to three junior consultants.
- Identifies, evaluates, cultivates and manages partnerships and relationships with senior clients, external stakeholders and key opinion leaders.
- Effectively collaborates internally to bring our services to existing clients.
- Enhances ERM’s capability to sell and deliver Climate Change services.
Business Development Activities
- Supports Account Management teams in meeting sales goals.
- Supports new business development campaigns, proposals and pitches.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with Master’s degree (preferred) in policy, law, economics, engineering, or basic/applied science (such as physics, chemistry, material sciences, environmental science, earth sciences, etc.).
- 8+ years of relevant work experience in a related field, such as consultancy, private sector (power, natural gas, hydrogen, etc.), or environmental policy.
- A thorough understanding of technical, economic, policy and market challenges and opportunities associated with the low carbon energy transition.
- Attention to detail and commitment to deliver high-quality work products.
- Demonstrated project management and leadership skills.
- Structured and effective communicator that can shape and deliver messages to executive level and facilitate effective client engagements.
- Experience of line management and/or contributing to the professional development of other teammates is a plus.
- Enthusiasm, initiative, flexibility, and a desire to work in a growing team.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com