The City of Palo Alto has provided a full range of utility services (electric, gas, water, and sewer) for over 100 years, and the Utilities Department is one of the only publicly owned gas utilities in the State of California. City of Palo Alto Utilities (CPAU) serves a highly engaged community and has been on the forefront of sustainability, with 100% carbon neutral electric and gas portfolios. CPAU is working to provide safe and reliable services at reasonable rates while also helping the City meet its environmental sustainability goals.
The City is seeking to hire a Sustainability Programs Administrator to work within its Utilities Program Services (UPS) group. The UPS group is part of the Resource Management Division of the city’s Utilities Department. Resource Management is responsible for both the procurement of supply and the delivery of demand-side programs that promote efficiency and emissions reductions, with the UPS group managing the demand-side programs.
The mission of the UPS group is to help customers use energy and water more efficiently, lower their bills, and reduce their carbon footprint, in addition to fulfilling utility legislative mandates. Programs range from promoting electric vehicle charging equipment to helping electrify buildings for the purpose of reducing carbon emissions and increasing the comfort and safety of the indoor environment. UPS team members design and manage highly effective energy efficiency programs for both residential and commercial customers, and they offer a wide range of education and outreach programs throughout the community.
The Sustainability Programs Administrator position is especially important at this time when Palo Alto has identified addressing climate change as a priority. As cities across the nation and nations across the globe set greenhouse gas emissions reduction goals, the challenge of achieving those goals looms large. Palo Alto is positioned to be a leader in confronting that challenge, and the Sustainability Programs Administrator plays a key role in this effort. Implementing programs that help residents and businesses switch to clean fuels and adopt behaviors that minimize emissions is the mechanism for translating goals into results.
The UPS group is well-resourced, with four Sustainability Programs Administrator staff, three business key account staff, a business analyst, and support staff. Funding for programs includes $3.7 million per year from a Public Benefits surcharge, approximately $1.5 million per year from Low Carbon Fuel Standard funds, approximately $1M in Local Decarbonization funds for building electrification, and occasional grant funding. The group operates with the support of a progressive and innovative community with ambitious sustainability goals as embodied in its Sustainability and Climate Action Plan.
CPAU is seeking a candidate with knowledge and understanding of industry trends in energy and/or water efficiency and energy technologies such as electric vehicles, solar systems, energy storage, and demand response. The candidate should have strong project management skills and be able to communicate clearly verbally, in writing, and using visuals. Experience with the implementation of behavioral savings programs (home energy and/or water reports) as well as web application integration is desirable. Project management certification is also desirable but not required.
Ability to analyze program and customer data using spreadsheet applications and/or databases to monitor program health and develop new program recommendations is important. We are looking for a candidate who works well with others, takes initiative, and can prioritize activities.
The City offers a range of benefits including a retirement plan so make sure to visit our benefits portal.
This position is part of the Service Employees' International Union (SEIU).
Essential and other important responsibilities and duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develops scope of services for Request for Proposals (RFPs), interviews and evaluates responses, and negotiates contracts for programs and services related to water and energy efficiency, conservation, and environmental sustainability for residential, commercial and institutional customers.
• Researches and evaluates emerging efficiency products and technologies, including relevant cost and benefit analyses, for potential inclusion into programs.
• Researches best practices to enhance CPAU’s portfolio of customer programs.
• Coordinates, supervises, and evaluates day-to-day operations of assigned programs; ensures compliance with applicable internal and external requirements.
• Coordinates the development, implementation, and supervision of program goals, objectives, policies, procedures, activities, and strategic initiatives; assesses consequences and outcomes of program initiatives.
• Drives program and process improvements (e.g. enhancements to program tracking database, process automation); develops and recommends program plans and priorities.
• Coordinates with vendors, Utilities Communications team, and other City departments to design, develop and implement marketing plans and strategies to promote efficiency programs.
• Conducts public workshops and delivers presentations to various stakeholder groups.
• Attends and participates in a variety of meetings; represents assigned program and/or the Department on local, state, and national committees, advocacy groups, and/or other related groups.
To view the full job description for the Sustainability Programs Administrator, visit the City of Palo Alto's job descriptions.
Sufficient education, training and/or work experience to demonstrate possession of the following knowledge, skills and abilities, which would typically be acquired through:
NOTE: Master’s degree in Business Administration, Engineering, or other related field may be considered in lieu of one year of experience.
Special Requirements: Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com