Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Human Resources and Operations Associate will serve as the receptionist and play a key administrative, logistical, and research support role in managing the Ceres office and supporting Human Resources activities. The position is located in our Boston office and will work with and report to the Senior Department Director of Human Resources and Operations. This job offers an opportunity for a friendly, mature, and highly organized individual to join a growing organization and engage in a variety of activities. Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
Human Resources (HR)
- Create welcome packets for new staff members and assist with scheduling HR onboarding
- Support the onboarding process for new staff by coordinating computer, phone business cards, and work space set-up, including setting up e-mail, calendar, conference call and server accounts
- Assist with distribution of benefits materials to staff members
- Monitor staff I-9 expirations dates and collect updated information when necessary
- Support team with job postings
- Support logistical needs of recruiting, training, and wellness activities
- Maintain turnover data information and provide monthly reports
- Maintain staff lists and seating charts and distribute to staff when changes occur
- Support HR with external reporting requests
- In partnership with team members, serve as editor for the monthly HR newsletter
- Maintain public boards in Ceres’ office with staff birthdays, anniversaries, and timesheet reminders
- Conduct research and/or data analysis on HR systems and activity
- Provide administrative support to the Senior Department Director
- Serve as reception for Ceres providing phone coverage, greeting visitors to the office and accepting and signing for packages
- Sort and distribute mail and Ceres’ credit card statements, assist staff with shipping packages, coordinate deliveries with staff and determine appropriate places to store Ceres materials.
- Serve as liaison with office equipment and supplies vendors and partner on research and decision making for office equipment purchases
- Oversee ordering of office materials as necessary and manage vendor relationships and Ceres’ non-profit purchasing with consideration of women and minority-owned businesses.
- As directed, purchase office furniture and technology considering environmentally friendly products
- Track inventory of Ceres paraphernalia such as letterhead, envelopes, and folders and re-order when necessary.
- Oversee kitchen purchases of healthy office food and kitchen supplies that are environmentally-conscious while being affordable
- Ensure common area maintenance by keeping meetings rooms, storage closets, un-assigned office space and the cafe tidy. Manage relationship with the building’s cleaning service on specific needs such as bathroom areas and manage relationship with composting service.
- Serve as liaison with building maintenance and security staff, keeping Ceres staff informed of building activities and policies.
- Support with managing sub-tenant and their needs.
- Organize and manage the distribution of wi-fi travel devices.
- Coordinate routine repair and maintenance issues for office and serve as liaison with building management.
- Partner with the Senior Department Director as building safety officer for Ceres which includes organizing and moving staff when building alarms are sounded
- Trouble shoot office equipment problems (such as copiers, phones & postage machines) and coordinate with external vendors for repair support
- Manage the office security card system, including issuing new cards, canceling lost cards, and limiting security access when appropriate.
- Maintain up-to-date list of all external vendors and support providers, along with log-in and password accounts. Conduct research on possible new vendors with consideration of women and minority-owned businesses.
- Organize annual cleaning of office space when staff are attending the Ceres Conference
- Track and maintain inventory of office equipment including electronics (laptops and phones)
- Review invoices and prepare payments for office-wide services and equipment such as phone, copier, mail service, electricity and office lease
- Provide administrative support to the production of the Ceres’ Sustainability Report, such as collecting data about staff travel, paper use in the office, or office composting activity.
- Provide logistical support to the Senior Department Director
- At minimum, two years of work experience, in an office setting, preferred.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Well-developed organizational and problem-solving skills necessary.
- Experience managing confidential and sensitive information
- Ability to look at problems as opportunities.
- Strong attention to detail and good follow-through on projects.
- Mindset where you are always thinking two to three steps ahead.
- Prior experience conducting research and analyzing data, a plus.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Strong people skills with the ability to diplomatically work with a wide range of individuals
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Understand how to manage staff expectations and provide helpful communication.
- Remain calm and thoughtful in times of crisis.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, social media, and email computer applications (Salesforce, Google Suite, MS Office Suite).
- Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com