This is a great opportunity to build your career in environmental and land stewardship! The Land Steward Individual Placement is an internship position with the Virginia Outdoors Foundation (VOF) in Northern Virginia.
The Land Steward Individual Placements will serve with the VOF, other partners, and private landowners to support the open-space easement program across Northern Virginia and neighboring counties. The position will require 40 hours per week for 50 weeks, with frequent weekly and bi-weekly travel throughout the Piedmont region. The Individual Placements will assist with open-space easement monitoring, digital file organization, database entry and other duties including:
- Traveling across the Piedmont stewardship region to conduct site visits.
- Visiting easement properties to document any physical changes using iPhone applications, GPS and GIS.
- Creating maps and manipulating data using ArcView 10.
- Contacting easement property owners and their representatives.
- Maintaining accurate digital files, including database entry.
- Participate in training activities, as required.
- Participate in staff meetings, as required.
- Other potential activities include work with VOF Owned Lands for nature-based education programs and public access management, visits around Commonwealth to engage with other VOF staff and partners and training on locality land records.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills will be necessary. The Individual Placement will be required to operate a vehicle to travel between field sites.
Housing is NOT provided for this position.
- $570/week living stipend, paid bi-weekly
- $6,195.00 AmeriCorps Segal Education Award upon successful completion of 1700 hour service term (award amount varies based on length of commitment and can be used for paying off federal student loans or paying tuition for a Title IV accredited college)
- Possible student loan forbearance
- Member Assistance Program – 3 free sessions of support with a counseling or work-life balance specialist
- Uniform shirts and other necessary safety equipment is provided
- On-the-job training
- Additional subject-specific trainings may be offered
- Depending upon the academic institution and program, this position may fulfill internship requirements
- Professional development opportunities (mentorship, resume support, alumni listserv, etc.) and exposure to natural resource career paths
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com