Senior Associate, Water and Agriculture Resilience
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our website (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
Ceres’ Water Program promotes capital market solutions to the global water crisis by accelerating private sector leadership on sustainable water management, through cutting-edge research, company engagement, investor mobilization and advocacy. Ultimately our work is about changing the way the world’s largest economic actors value and manage water.
The Senior Associate, Water and Agriculture Resilience position supports the program’s efforts to protect freshwater from the impacts of agriculture, with a focus on influencing the largest food and beverage companies to improve the sustainability of their agricultural sourcing policies and practices. We are seeking a Senior Associate to contribute to key programmatic and administrative projects and conduct research on environmental impacts of agricultural supply chains. The Senior Associate will be part of a dynamic team working with investors, companies and other NGOS to improve water stewardship practices. We seek an energetic, highly motivated, self-starter to play a critical programmatic, administrative and research role. This full-time position will be based in our Boston office and reports to the Senior Manager, Water and Agriculture Resilience.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Work with Senior Manager and Program Director to inform the strategic direction of Ceres’ work with the largest food and beverage companies through research and engagement.
- Collaborate with Senior Manager to ensure the work informs the work of our investor water risk efforts, including our new Valuing Water Finance Initiative.
- Work with Senior Manager to further corporate commitments around water and sustainable sourcing and research and analysis to compliment this work.
- Partner with Senior Manager to collect, track and manage data on food companies from financials to sustainability metrics.
- Draft briefing documents on key topics related to agricultural supply chains and water sustainability issues for a wide range of audiences.
- Conduct research and analyses on food companies to inform external publications and educational tools for companies and investors. Lead on writing these external communications.
- Partner with the Senior Manager in development and management of team planning, goal setting, and impact tracking.
- Conduct research and analysis to ensure sustainable agriculture content on Ceres websites, newsletters and/or external publications is up-to-date and accurate, in collaboration with the Comms Manager and/or Senior Manager.
- Manage relationships with key external partners working on sustainable agriculture by way of research and logistics.
- Participate in planning for the Ceres annual conference program and other events to educate stakeholders on water and sustainable agriculture issues.
- Partner with the Senior Manager and Development Team with content on proposals, progress reports, and funder education.
- Support Senior Manager with hiring and training interns.
- Participate in Water team activities, such as weekly team meetings, quarterly and annual program reviews, and annual planning meetings.
- Develop, maintain and update sustainable agriculture datasets and Salesforce tracking systems to ensure contacts, meetings, deliverables, news flow and other important information is tracked and available.
- Participate in special projects, particularly as it relates to shared events and research that touch on water and other programs teams.
- Travel to represent Ceres at conferences and events, domestic and international.
- Organize or coordinate special projects, as requested by the Senior Manager.
- Four to five years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in or in collaboration with the corporate sector on sustainability-related issues. Knowledge of sustainable agriculture is desirable.
- An understanding of institutional investors and financial markets, a plus.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Strong writing and research skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Public speaking skills, desirable.
- Strong quantitative and data analysis skills, including the ability to collect, sort and identify trends in large datasets, required.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Experience in using Bloomberg and other financial analysis tools, a plus.
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific applications necessary for work: ReadyTalk, Salesforce, listserv program, etc.
Interest in being part of a diverse workforce and willingness to support Ceres’ Commitment to Inclusion and Equity
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. Applicants should submit a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.