Yale University offers exciting opportunities for achievement and growth in New Haven, Connecticut. Conveniently located between Boston and New York, New Haven is the creative capital of Connecticut with cultural resources that include three major museums, a critically-acclaimed repertory theater, state-of-the-art concert hall, and world-renowned schools of Architecture, Art, Drama, and Music.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Strategic Communications, helps to enhance and expand the reputation of the Yale School of the Environment (YSE) as a national and international leader in environmental research, thought, and education. Supports the creation, management, and execution of communication plans for synthesizing and communicating complex academic concepts for multiple audiences. Develops and manages forward-looking strategic communications in traditional and new media in order to enhance YSE’s reputation externally and across Yale.
- Works with the Executive Director of Strategic Communications and the Communications team to develop and implement a cohesive content strategy to inform and engage multiple external and internal audiences.
- Creates compelling and timely stories, narratives, and scripts highlighting the work of YSE faculty, students, alumni, and other community members.
- Takes a leading role, serving as managing editor, for YSE flagship publications: Canopy, biannual magazine, and the Annual Report, including compiling story ideas, working with the Associate Director of Design and Assistant Editor to create and manage editorial calendar; source and curate high-quality visual assets.
- Builds and cultivates strong working relationships with YSE faculty, students, and staff in order to communicate the significance of campus initiatives and/or academic work; creates compelling stories and messages to translate the significance through language that is clear and accessible for public awareness.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with Yale’s Office of Public Affairs and Communications (OPAC) in order to identify stories of interest to the media and wider Yale community; collaborates with executive director of strategic communications and media relations officers at OPAC to develop a pipeline of stories highlighting YSE’s science-to-solutions approach and how YSE is addressing today’s global environmental challenges
- Works with the Executive Director of Strategic Communications, Dean, and others on YSE leadership team to craft, edit and/or refine internal and external messages and major announcements, including Dean’s message, urgent communications, community/student updates, among others. Supports effective response strategies, often in crisis situations requiring evening/weekend/off hours response and input.
- Supports short- and long-term communication planning with insights into audiences, channels and culture; coordinates with other communications professionals to achieve institutional goals; helps to manage communications plans for stakeholders by understanding the significance of campus initiatives and/or academic work.
- Assists the Associate Director of Design in maintaining the Yale brand and graphic identity standards; supports and maintains standard operating procedures; contributes to digital asset management.
- Assists the Assistant Editor as needed in writing social media posts and managing social content; monitoring social media assets for negative comments or misinformation.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Candidates who are interviewed must provide writing samples (press releases, news stories or short features) at the time of interview. Finalists will be asked to complete a writing assignment based on YSE-specific work.
Required Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications or related field and five years of experience in public relations, journalism, television, corporate communications or agency work or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated experience in developing communications for a range of media and working with creative professionals in design, photography or video.
- Ability to think analytically, articulate ideas clearly, and write and/or edit a wide array of copy. Skilled in writing press releases, web content, social media posts, marketing copy, news stories, and magazine-style, longer-form articles and profiles, and other communication materials with attention to facts, detail, and context.
- Strong written, editorial and oral communication skills. Self-starter, strong work ethic, and ability to work both collaboratively and independently in an organized and productive manner on deadline. Well-developed presentation and organizational skills. Strong interest in sustainability and other environmental issues.
- Ability to work under pressure, be constructively proactive, successfully manage multiple projects and meet multiple tight deadlines; simultaneously negotiate new and ongoing priorities while working in a dynamic, complex environment with a high-level of communication, transparency, and diplomacy.
- A broad understanding of university culture, with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a wide range of constituents in a collaborative environment. Ability to interact with faculty, researchers, staff, and students to accurately interpret and present their message to a broad audience.
- Ability to understand community’s needs, incorporate and articulate community members perspective and formulate communications. Highly developed project management skills. Ability to manage group decision-making processes and related procedures, budgets, and project timelines.
Preferred Education and Experience: Experience writing about science, academic research and/or the environment highly preferred.
Application: For more information and immediate consideration, please apply online at https://bit.ly/YaleCareers-62823BR. Please be sure to reference this website when applying for this position.
We invite you to discover the excitement, diversity, rewards and excellence of a career at Yale University. One of the country's great workplaces, Yale University offers exciting opportunities for meaningful accomplishment and true growth. Our benefits package is among the best anywhere, with a wide variety of insurance choices, liberal paid time off, fantastic family and educational benefits, a variety of retirement benefits, extensive recreational facilities, and much more.
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to and does not discriminate on the basis of an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.