Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Chicago, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Honolulu, Miami, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position provides legislative and administrative strategy development and implementation on environmental and justice issue priorities for Earthjustice on broad issue areas on our Policy and Legislation Department’s Climate and Energy team. Approximately 50% of the docket will consist of issues at the intersection of climate and agriculture. The balance of the position’s portfolio will focus on advancing equitable and just climate solutions in partnership with clients and partners as assigned by Supervisor.
LOBBY STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT AND IMPLEMENTATION 50%
- Develop and implement legislative and administrative advocacy strategies relating to assigned issues.
- Directly lobby Congress and the Administration.
- Educate the Administration and Congress on key legal challenges and rulings.
- Serve as spokesperson for Earthjustice on assigned issues.
- Track legislation and policy initiatives relating to assigned issues.
- Work with Legislative Director and as warranted the relevant litigators and internal issue area experts to develop positions and strategies on relevant legislation and administrative actions.
- Develop lobby and education materials, including but not limited to fact sheets, letters, action alerts and blogs.
- Work with Communications Department to develop media strategies such as conducting media outreach and creating social media content, blogs and op-eds as well as other strategic communications tools on assigned issues.
- Perform policy and legislative analysis.
- Plan and implement initiatives to educate the public and foster broader public advocacy for assigned issues.
- Develop, maintain and expand trusting relationships with staff of key decision makers.
COALITION AND PARTNERSHIPS 25-30%
- Create and maintain a leadership position within the DC environmental community on assigned issues; as well as an authentic and trusting relationship with regional and local environmental and social justice communities as appropriate.
- Represent Earthjustice in coalitions and with allies on assigned issues.
- Create opportunities for partners and allies to engage in education and advocacy on assigned issues and to be engaged in strategy development as appropriate.
- Cultivate and expand the range of allies, thoughtful partnerships and coalitions in support of assigned issues.
- Facilitate and encourage relationships of litigators and advocacy partners as appropriate.
- Coordinate briefings, seminars, and informational sessions with partners as well as support partners’ traditional and social media outreach as appropriate.
- Plan and execute events such as fly-ins, lobby days, etc.
INTERNAL COORDINATION/ADMINISTRATION 20%
- Represents PAL on Earthjustice working groups related to assigned issues.
- Liaison with Earthjustice Legislative Director, relevant litigators, and communications staff working on assigned issues
- Act as a team player, including assisting other PAL lobbyists when they are time –pressed to complete actions pertaining to their assigned issues.
- Coordinate with other PAL lobbyists on shared legislative priorities or cross-cutting issues.
- Ensure PAL V.P., Legislative Director and other PAL lobbyists are aware of the work you are doing that may impact them, for coordination, etc.
- Contribute to Earthjustice’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) mission through involvement in trainings and internal working groups.
- Ensure timely submission of attendance, time accounting and reimbursement requests.
- Manage and coordinate relationships between litigators and advocacy partners as appropriate.
- Participate and contribute in strategy meetings regarding possible or pending litigation bound to impact advocacy efforts on covered issues.
- Assist in efforts to cultivate diversity, equity and inclusion within the organization and the broader environmental community
- Assist in fundraising efforts related to assigned issue areas as requested by the Earthjustice Development Department.
SUPERVISION 5% -- IF SUPERVISING EMPLOYEE -10%
- Supervise projects and other efforts performed on assigned issues by Earthjustice Legislative Counsels, Representatives, Associates, Assistants, Interns or contractors.
- Senior Legislative Counsel/Representative may be assigned direct supervisory responsibility for one employee.
- Seven years’ experience with the legislative process.
- Bachelor’s, Master’s in applicable field for Senior Legislative Representative.
- JD for Senior Legislative Counsel.
- Familiarity and experience with administrative rulemaking process
- Substantial knowledge and experience with the legislative process—primarily at the federal level.
- Experience with U.S. environmental laws a plus.
- Proven ability to develop and implement successful legislative and administrative strategies.
- Proven ability to develop sound relationships with key staff of decision makers.
- Maintain leadership within DC environmental community on assigned issues.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, projects and deadlines.
- Excellent writing and oral communications skills.
- Detail oriented and good organizational skills.
- Proven ability to work in coalitions and with allies, and ability to grow these relationships.
- Experience in working with traditional and social media.
- Proven ability to work independently and proactively
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Salary is dependent on experience and location. Senior Legislative Counsel has obtained a JD. Senior Legislative Representative has obtained a Bachelor's or Master's.
Salary range for Senior Legislative Counsel in Washington, DC: $112,400 - $124,900
Salary range for Senior Legislative Representative in Washington, DC: $104,700 - $116,300
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity.
Interested candidates should submit the follow materials via the Jobvite system:
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com!
Senior Legislative Counsel: $112,400 - $124,900. Senior Legislative Representative: $104,700 - $116,300