GROW WITH US
As the largest 100% employee-owned company in the resource recovery industry, Recology has a unique workplace culture that guides how we support employees, interact with our customers, service our communities, and care for our environment.
We encourage Recology employees to G.R.O.W. with Us professionally and personally by:
- Giving back to our communities and our environment by volunteering time and resources
- Recovering resources to achieve their best and highest use
- Exhibiting Ownership in a company that does the right things for the right reasons, ensuring that our actions benefit the company, the communities we serve, and our environment.
- Working together to develop camaraderie and facilitate collaboration. By demonstrating an inclusive attitude that values different backgrounds and ideas, we can get the job done.
You can G.R.O.W. with Us by becoming our Environmental Specialist 1
The Environmental Specialist reviews special waste applications and analytical reports and ensures that required plans and permits are current and Company is in compliance with environmental policy including management by objectives (MBOs). Regularly instructs and direct helpers by assigning, reviewing, and checking work. This position receives regular review by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, AND ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Reviews special waste applications and analytical reports to confirm compliance with landfill acceptance criteria.
- Prepares and submits necessary reports and information to local governments/agencies.
- Conducts compliance inspections of facilities and operations and brings issues to management as needed.
- Maintains compliance management database (ROCT) and ensures that compliance binders and required documents on site are complete and up to date.
- Communicates verbally and in writing with regulators and accompanies them during inspections.
- Maintains facility records as needed to ensure compliance with permits and regulations.
- Samples water, soil, air, compost, and hazardous waste material, etc. for laboratory analysis using appropriate equipment and regulatory procedures
- Assists with compliance and permitting activities of the Corporate Environment and Planning Department including the preparation of correspondence, reports, and applications, scheduling and attending meetings, setting up and maintaining files, researching contract service providers/consultants and other activities as directed.
- Prepares manifests for hazardous waste disposal shipments and submits Hazardous Waste Disposal Fees, Hazardous Waste Generator Fees, EPA ID Questionnaires, and Manifest Fee Returns. Evaluates incoming materials for acceptability consistent with Company waste acceptance guidelines.
- Represents the Company to regulatory agencies and the general public as needed. Answers inquiries by correspondence, telephone, and in person.
- Assists with design and presentation of environmental, permitting, and compliance related training.
- Assists in the development of testing protocols, such as odor control, waste characterization testing, etc. and participates in testing as required.
- Travels to multiple locations for on-site visits.
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge, skills and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to qualify is:
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- One year of experience in compliance and/or permitting areas preferred.
- Experience with solid and/or hazardous waste preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License.
IDEAL CANDIDATE - The qualifications listed are typical of the knowledge, skills, and abilities of successful employees within this classification.
- Technical and professional principles, practices, laws, applications and programs in environmental compliance.
- Current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
- Computer programs, including Microsoft Office suite of applications.
Skill and/or Ability to:
- Ability to promote the WASTE ZERO philosophy by making the best and highest use of all resources as well as finding ways to use waste products in ways that benefit the environment.
- Define issues and focus on achieving workable solutions; generate innovative ideas to develop or improve existing systems.
- Demonstrate ability to use computers and technology capabilities.
- Demonstrate strong proficiency and knowledge in area(s) of expertise as well as company business.
- Communicate well both verbally and in writing; listen to and understand various viewpoints; share relevant information timely; provide constructive feedback; maintain professionalism.
- Present ideas effectively to individuals or groups and deliver presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Effectively and productively engage with others and establish trust, credibility, and confidence.
- Promote collaboration and assist others with their initiatives and efforts.
- Consistently build and share knowledge and expertise about current job through reading, new experiences, and exposure to new ideas.
- Listen to and build customer relationships; increase customer satisfaction and ensure commitments are met.
- an ecologically innovative company that finds and mentors people committed to protecting the environment and sustaining our communities.
- the largest employee owned resource recovery company in the industry with terrific benefits to help you prosper.
- a creative and caring culture that values community, diversity, altruism, accountability, collaboration, and learning by doing.
- an inspired company mission driven to use and return resources to their best and highest use through the practice of the 4R’s: Reduce, Re-use, Recycle, and Recologize.
- distinct professional challenges to connect with, care for, and grow community that sees a world without waste.
RECOLOGY BENEFITS MAY INCLUDE:
- becoming an owner in our Company
- two retirement plans:
- a supplemental retirement plan through our Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP)
- 401(k) match (up to 4% of salary)
- health and wellness benefits including medical, dental, and vision
- educational assistance (up to $5,250 per year)
- a robust employee assistance program with financial guidance, legal assistance, dependent referrals and lots of discounts to a variety of vendors
- an employee referral program where you can achieve cash incentives (up to $2500 per referral)
- generous paid time off and paid holidays
- commuting benefits - we help subsidize the cost to get to work
- annual wellness incentives (up to $300)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this job; and pursuant to applicable law, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records. It is important that you provide accurate information on the job application, inaccurate information may cause delays in the processing of your application and/or may disqualify you as a candidate.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability or protected veteran status.
This description is not intended and should not be construed to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, effort, work conditions, and benefits associated with the job.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com!