Context: Builds grassroots power, by leading the implementation of organizing campaigns that will increase the number of people involved, leaders trained, and engagement of people with influence to achieve our conservation goals Plans, organizes and coordinates the activities of staff and volunteers in carrying out the organizing activities for assigned campaign or program. Develops organizing strategies and priorities for assigned campaign or program.
Scope: The Organizing Representative is responsible for recruiting, engaging, and motivating large numbers of new people to take repeated action which will further Sierra Club’s targeted campaign or program goals. Identifies and develops volunteers to take on the role of team leaders and build grassroots power and networks. Identifies and builds alliances with other organizations that can influence decision-makers.
The Organizing Representative is responsible for the coordination and effective implementation of the organizing goals within the assigned campaign or program. Oversees creating the organizing plan and developing the strategy and helps to carry out organizational and issue visibility in regional, national media and in the local community. Participates in activities and services provided by the regional office. Provides leadership in working with volunteer leaders, national, state and local conservation staff on conservation. Evaluates and measures success of activities with manager and campaign or program leads to ensure progress towards the campaign or program's mission and goals. Helps determine changes to strategies needed to reach goals.
- Develops organizing strategy, marshals resources, organizes staff and volunteer efforts monitors and tracks expenses on select campaigns.
- Coordinates actions and ensures the effective implementation of the organizing plan to identify, recruit volunteers both in Sierra Club and other groups around campaign or program. Seeks opportunities to advance the Sierra Club’s diversity initiatives through new partnerships and engagement strategies where appropriate.
- Engages people and develops volunteer leadership in both social and environmental advocacy activities that will create strong environmental communities and build power at the community, state, and national level.
- Develops and implements a variety of engagement strategies including on-line and face-to-face social networks to support Sierra Club cause.
- Maintains and develops new partnerships with affinity groups who share many common goals and values.
- Plans and coordinates strategy and activities to obtain media coverage in regional and national media outlets. Participates in the development of media campaigns; may represent the Sierra Club in the media; promotes volunteer media exposure.
- Develops grasstop networks and cultivates relationships with public officials. Lobbies Members of Congress and other public officials on behalf of the Club on national and regional conservation priorities. Develops relationships with Congressional Members and staff within region.
- Ensures information, research, and other assistance to Sierra Club leaders, the public and others about the campaigns and priority issues are provided. Provides support to other internal departments for campaign synergy:
- Communications Department in the implementation of media and public outreach communications.
- Advancement Department in the development of effective relationships with donors and foundations within or with an interest in the assigned communities and may assist with the development of organizing objectives and strategies as part of grant projects and proposals.
- National Political Program to advance the Club’s conservation priorities through relationships with elected officials and via electoral campaigns. Coordinates political organizing in Congressional and other electoral campaigns
- Represents Sierra Club in regional coalitions, at regional events and to the general public.
- Represents the Sierra Club to the media, public forums and venues, public education and media strategy.
- Identifies and develops volunteers who will take work as part of a team and take on the role of team leaders to build our grassroots power and networks. Helps those leaders succeed by training and coaching them how to strategize, organize, inspire and motivate.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned.
Heavier seasonal workloads may occur as a result of project deadlines, staff absences and vacancies, and during peak activity periods. Frequent weekend and/or evening work required.
Knowledge & Skills:
- B.A./B.S. degree in Environmental Studies, Political Science or a closely related field. Additional experience in grassroots organizing may be substituted for degree requirement
- At least 3 years experience in grassroots organizing, training, and motivating volunteers, coalition building and lobbying.
- Strong demonstrated written and oral communication skills. Demonstrated public speaking ability.
- Excellent knowledge and background in a specific issue area of the environmental field related to assigned programs and campaigns.
- Prior experience and knowledge of either the legislative process or administrative process.
- Demonstrated ability and effectiveness working with volunteers.
- Extensive travel required.
- Valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required. A background check will be required upon job acceptance.
This position is represented by a collective bargaining unit and is subject to the terms and conditions of the contract between Sierra Club and Progressive Workers Union.
The Sierra Club offers competitive salary package commensurate with skills and experience plus excellent benefits that include medical, dental, and vision coverage, and a retirement savings 401(k) plan.
This is a category 4 exempt position.
Sierra Club is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization. Sierra Club employees are not eligible to participate in the Federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) Program. Sierra Club does not sponsor H1B visas.
The Sierra Club is an equal opportunity employer committed to workforce diversity.
Explore, enjoy and protect the planet.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com!