3M is seeking an experienced Environmental Compliance Manager for the Environment, Health, Safety, and Medical department located in Maplewood, MN. At 3M, you can apply your talent in bold ways that matter. Here, you go.
The person hired for the position of Environmental Compliance Manager will lead an experienced team of environmental professionals to ensure the company appropriately manages our regulatory compliance and permitting obligations at manufacturing sites globally, with a specific focus on water quality and/or waste management. They will also serve as a lead compliance auditor, and collaborate with business leaders, environmental experts, regulatory authorities and other stakeholders
For additional information, please visit our website: 3M Sustainability
This position provides an opportunity to transition from other private, public, government or military environments to a 3M career.
Primary Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Serve as a key leader on projects and programs to support water quality and/or waste management compliance assurance for 3M manufacturing facilities globally
- Coordinate and provide knowledgeable direction to direct reports on US EPA and state-specific environmental regulations, permit and regulatory compliance strategies, negotiation approaches and related project coaching (with emphasis on NPDES and RCRA requirements)
- Collaborate with other members of the Environmental Operations leadership team to identify, prioritize, and champion department objectives and drive continuous improvement in compliance management.
- Active participation and support for relevant corporate environmental programs, policies, standards and objectives, including support toward the implementation of compliance management tools and related business processes.
- Serve as a lead auditor and participate in global environmental audits of 3M manufacturing sites, applying technical and regulatory expertise for compliance assurance and program improvement.
- Provide direct supervision to professional staff which includes objective setting, performance management, career coaching, development planning, training and recognition.
- Engage with internal Area EHS Leaders on water and waste management compliance and stewardship in their respective Areas and Countries.
- Ensure management of change procedures globally and locally effectively identify changes that have water and/or waste regulatory implications, and those changes are evaluated and decisions documented
- Collaborate with internal environmental professionals globally (e.g. business, area/country and facility staff) to both advance company performance and improve corporate business processes.
- Analyze relevant metrics and key performance indicators to identify trends and correlations and drive appropriate objectives.
- Directly engage with peer companies, government agencies, NGO’s and trade associations to bring outside-in perspectives and advocate on 3M’s behalf to influence future environmental regulations
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree or higher in a science or engineering discipline (completed and verified prior to start) from an accredited institution
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in environmental compliance programs in a private, public, government or military environment
- Experience supervising/managing direct reports
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or related discipline from accredited institution
- Extensive knowledge of US EPA regulations including, but not limited to, the Clean Water Act (CWA) and Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
- High attention to detail, with process-oriented view and ability to document conclusions clearly and concisely
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to maintain good working relationships with colleagues.
- Ability to communicate with varying levels and functions within the organization as well as in one-on-one, small groups, and large audience settings.
- Direct experience serving as a lead environmental compliance auditor, with an emphasis in water and waste compliance permitting
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience with project management and prioritization skills; demonstrated self-starter with the ability to multi-task
- Direct work experience in a manufacturing setting
- Minimum one (1) year of Lean Six Sigma/Quality Improvement experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop into a new position via acceptance of coaching, mentoring and networking to strengthen knowledge and expertise
- Ability to understand and apply analytical and statistics tools
- Experience leading factory compliance activities related to wastewater discharges and waste management.
- Experience leading a global cross functional team
- Microsoft Office proficient, various database applications a plus
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com!