Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking an experienced Program Marketing Manager to lead marketing and communications strategy and execution for RMI’s Carbon Free Cities & States (CFCS) program. This program has several initiatives aimed at cities and cohorts of cities to deliver strategic, cost-effective solutions and the technical assistance to put them on a path to full climate-neutrality.
This hire will work as an integral part of RMI’s program teams, while also being a part of RMI’s broader Marketing & Communications (M&C) team. Responsibilities include conducting market assessments, developing marketing and communications strategy and tactical plans, working closely with external partners to drive all aspects of strategies and plans, and leading the execution of those plans personally and by employing in-house and 3rd-party resources.
RMI communications plans utilize diverse channels and media. A successful hire will enjoy developing strategy and executing that work, both individually and through effectively engaging in-house functional experts (this in-house team supports all RMI programs and fundraising) in editorial, design, traditional and digital media, and web for the benefit of all CFCS initiatives.
S/he will enjoy working across programs, and with partners and other outside resources, and will have 7+ years marketing and communications experience including B2B. Expertise in the energy system and knowledge of renewable energy, electricity, and utilities, is highly desired. This hire will exhibit high intellectual curiosity toward the market space, including city and state-level policymaking, and be proficient at communicating at different levels of depth (more in-depth for industry audiences; simplified for lay audiences including government decision-makers and donor prospects).
This position reports to the principals for the CFCS program and retains dotted line responsibilities into RMI’s central M&C team
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead overall communications strategy for the CFCS program, a ~20 person program consisting of two key initiatives, the City Renewables Accelerator and America’s Pledge, plus several affiliated initiatives
- Develop, coordinate, and deliver marketing plans and campaigns for our current and emerging CFCS initiatives that leverage diverse channels including media relations, social / digital, events, direct communications, and RMI- and partner-owned assets
- Initiatives will be primarily US-based but map to international countries and regions where RMI is developing country net-zero energy cities and districts
- Work closely to drive, plan, and execute all marketing and communications campaigns with any contracted external partners
- Build, own, and manage annual marketing and communications budget
- Leverage news-making moments, milestones, outcomes and impacts to drive awareness and interest in the CFCS program with target audiences, influencers, and donors
- Develop substantive understanding of the technical content for owned impact areas
- Collaborate with and leverage in-house communications capabilities (i.e., editorial, design, web, traditional and social media) and 3rd-party agencies
- Seek out and develop new and strategic communications partnerships with like-minded NGOs and/or advocacy groups in the target market
- Develop and report against metrics of success
- Ensure RMI’s Development team has robust fundraising materials
- Direct RMI technical experts into the right conversations (media, social, other) that are shaping target audience sentiment
- Steward program brand across all communications channels and opportunities
- Other responsibilities as assigned
- An intense drive for results and impact
- 7+ years’ experience in marketing and communications disciplines, with clear experience in developing strategies and leading successful communications campaigns.
- Excellent initiative and follow-through and project management skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail
- A strong team player with excellent interpersonal / collaborative skills with staff and counterparts at all organizational levels and with external partners
- Passion for RMI’s mission and theory of change
Boulder, CO or Washington D.C.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
If you have issues submitting your application or uploading your documents, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
RMI is an equal opportunity employer.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com