Rocky Mountain Institute is seeking an Associate/Senior Associate to work on analyzing, aggregating, and showcasing state, city, and business action on climate change in support of America's Pledge.
This Associate/Senior Associate will lead our team’s work to bring RMI’s decarbonization expertise and leadership to state and city-level engagement with policymakers, regulators, businesses, advocates, and other stakeholders. Specific project-level responsibilities will include research and analysis on GHG reduction strategies and associated policies, project management, collaborative stakeholder facilitation, as well as direct engagement with various domestic and international stakeholders.
Washington D.C. or Boulder, CO
- America’s Pledge brings together private and public sector leaders to ensure the United States remains a global leader in reducing emissions and delivers the country’s ambitious climate goals of the Paris Agreement. RMI co-leads analysis in support of America's Pledge.
- The America's Pledge work is housed in the Carbon-free Cities and States practice within RMI, a growing area in support of state and local action on climate and clean energy. RMI follows a think, do, scale approach to state and local engagements, focusing on designing and supporting activities that can be replicated in many locations.
- Conduct research to better understand key opportunities and gaps, identify patterns, and develop a deep understanding of what is possible by different actors.
- For each of the sector of the economy, co-develop action strategies to support city, state, and business efforts to reduce GHGs
- Develop domestic strategies for scaling energy efficiency, renewables, and clean transportation
Facilitation and building partnerships
- Facilitate and build partnerships, including with other non-profits, funders, and coalitions, based on trust and a mutual understanding that working together could accelerate emissions reductions
- With buy-in from external parties, facilitate workshops to enhance collaboration across organizations working on similar topics. Create materials in support of these partnerships
- Lead and/or support outreach to non-profit, funder, and coalition staff to identify opportunities for enhanced, strategic collaboration. Conduct in-depth interviews
- Assist in the design and execution of meetings aimed at identifying GHG reduction activity gaps and developing ideas for solutions
- Work with clients to develop a drumbeat of positive, sub-national climate stories in the press
- Quantify the GHG impact of potential state, city, and federal policies
- Determine how results will be measured and be accountable for project results, rigorously challenging and QC-ing findings from RMI teams and partners.
- Lead and contribute to research efforts and publications, as well as preparation for press engagements
- 2-4 years of cumulative work experience
- Degree and/or relevant experience in an applicable field such as economics, engineering, sustainability, or public policy. Experience with state, city, or business efforts to reduce emissions is ideal.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Strong quantitative and analytical skills, including familiarity with Excel
- Ability to communicate clearly and break-down complex issues in a straightforward, logical manner
- Excellent writing skills
- Comfort working in both collaborative team settings as well as independently managing multiple projects and priorities simultaneously
- Willingness to dive into new areas of work and to learn new subject matter
- Some familiarity and experience with group facilitation is preferred
- Intellectual curiosity and a passion for environmental sustainability
- A passion for RMI’s mission
- Graduate degree and/or relevant experience in an applicable field such as economics, engineering, sustainability, or public policy.
- Experience in managing consulting, campaigns, or similar work environments
- Deep expertise in U.S. energy systems, climate, buildings, transportation, and/or electricity industry
- Experience working in or with state or city leadership or corporate sustainability leadership
Diversity of our workforce is one of our core values at RMI and we strive to achieve a level of diversity within our organization that reflects the communities we serve. Achieving this diversity – whether of race, gender, sexual orientation, or ability – is critical to our long-term success, ensuring that we:
- Have the diversity of thinking that comes from diverse backgrounds and cultures, enabling us to solve some of the world’s greatest challenges
- Have a culture of inclusion and respect that enables us to attract and keep diverse talent
- Able to access all available talent
- Communicate across diverse audiences
Increasing diversity within RMI is a critical change element supporting our long-term sustainability and mission to build a clean, prosperous, and secure energy future.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance
- 403b Retirement Options (5% match immediately)
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability
- Commuter and Wellness Benefits
- Casual Work Environment
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com