The Department of Marine Resources (DMR) is seeking applicants with strong laboratory skills for a Marine Resource Specialist I position in the Public Health Bureau located at the West Boothbay Harbor facility.
BRIEF JOB DESCRIPTION: This position will work primarily with Water Quality samples but will assist with Biotoxin samples as necessary.
· The primary tasks are split between field and laboratory work and vary depending upon departmental needs.
· Field work is tide-dependent and involves driving to specified locations along the coast of Western Maine.
· Laboratory work includes analysis of fecal coliforms in seawater samples using membrane filtration, operation of autoclaves, dry oven sterilization, critical temperature monitoring, preparation of media including sterilization and productivity testing, and data entry. All methods are performed to comply with the National Shellfish Sanitation Program (NSSP) guidelines.
· Quality Assurance and Control are a required part of the daily activities for both the laboratory and field tasks.
· There is an opportunity to learn in-house Biotoxin testing methods (HPLC-UV, absorbance-based plate assays)
· This position is required to work occasional weekends and holidays.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
· This position requires basic laboratory skills such as pipetting, solution preparation, knowledge of measurement units, mastery of simple laboratory calculations, and attention to detail.
· The successful candidate is self-motivated to recognize the tasks that need to be completed and to perform those tasks according to Standard Operating Procedures with limited supervision.
· The successful candidate is familiar with using formulas in Excel spreadsheets.
· The successful candidate is able to navigate to locations using maps.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES PREFERRED: Boat operation experience is a bonus. Knowledge of data analysis, statistics, and R or Python programming languages are a plus.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Four (4) years’ experience and/or education in the compilation and summarization of scientific field and laboratory data.
Candidates interested in this position need to complete and submit an online State of Maine application along with a Cover Letter and detailed Resume @
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED BY:
5:00 pm, August 23, 2019.
Direct Hire Application forms are available at http://www.maine.gov/nrsc/jobs/application.shtml or by calling the NRSC Personnel Office at (207) 624‑6370.
Value of State’s share of Employee’s Retirement: 14.47% of pay, Employee Pays: 7.65% of pay
Value of State-paid Dental Insurance: $14.31 biweekly
Value of State-paid Health Insurance*:
Level 1: 100% State Contribution = $461.75 biweekly (employee pays nothing)
Level 2: 95% State Contribution = $438.66 biweekly (Employee pays: 5%)
Level 3: 90% State Contribution = $415.58 biweekly (Employee pays: 10%)
Level 4: 85% State Contribution = $392.49 biweekly (Employee pays: 15%)
*The level of actual value of state paid Health Insurance will be based on employee’s wage rate and status with regard to the health credit premium program.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com