Clif Bar was born on a bike. In 1990, Gary Erickson set off on a 175-mile bike ride. Exhausted and hungry, he realized he couldn’t take another bite of the energy bars he brought along. At that moment he now calls ‘the epiphany,’ he had the idea to make a better-tasting energy bar.
Today, Gary and his wife, Kit Crawford, continue to lead Clif Bar’s innovative business model. Guided by Five Aspirations – Sustaining our People, our Business, our Brands, our Community and the Planet – Clif Bar is a family- and employee-owned company that loves food.
We believe that food provides health, joy, and energy to do the things we are passionate about. The food we create is good for people and the planet. We believe that happy, healthy people create the best food and envision an innovative environment where our people can grow and succeed both personally and professionally. We strive to:
- Create a company culture that inspires and supports our people in and outside work.
- Sustain our people with competitive pay and benefits, holistic wellness offerings, and other innovative benefits.
- Hire the right people for the right positions and support them to grow in their current and future roles.
Working at Clif Bar Baking Company is a chance to make the highest quality bars at a different kind of bakery, with great people who are making great food to FEED YOUR ADVENTURE. This is an exciting new step for Clif Bar. Let it be an exciting new step for you too!
Position Description: Clif Bar Baking Company is looking for an Environmental, Health, Safety & Sustainability Manager to join our management team in our bakery in Indianapolis.
This candidate should be extremely flexible and enjoy a “high-change” environment where priorities shift from day-to-day. Candidates, who connect through positive and respectful interaction, inspire greater success across all Five Aspirations and create extraordinary experiences, solutions and ideas will be at the top of our list.
The EHSS Manager will coordinate and execute environmental, health, safety and sustainability programs to ensure compliance with government laws and regulations and to establish and reinforce a safety culture of responsibility within the workplace. The EHSS Manager establishes daily behavior-based safety activities for teams and managers, including safety walks, shift safety talking points, and safety inspections. The EHSS Manager is also responsible for assisting managers in the development of procedures based on regulatory and company requirements, and with reporting of injuries or facility safety opportunities.
- Analyze environmental, health, and safety conditions and recommends changes to continuously improve facility performance.
- Develop and implement processes and procedures (SOP's) to ensure facility compliance with company and regulatory agency policies including federal, state, and local legislation and regulations pertaining to worker safety and preservation of the environment.
- Administer training programs for safety incident prevention, protection, and EHSS management systems.
- Provide guidance and oversight of all incident investigations. Lead, coordinate and participate in the investigations as needed to ensure effective corrective action/ preventive action closure for incidents.
- Responsible for maintaining the EHSS budget for the Indianapolis Bakery. Will also assist other managers in allotting for appropriate funding to complete EHSS goals.
- Responsible for strategic leadership and implementation of EHSS systems.
- Oversee and lead the Workers’ Compensation and early intervention programs.
- Support and implement sustainability initiatives and metric tracking.
- Other duties as requested.
Skills RequiredPosition-Specific Skills Required The ideal candidate will:
- Be a genuine Clif Bar & Company ambassador, who exemplifies the Clif Bar culture in all communications and interactions.
- Embody the Clif Bar Five Aspirations and Ingredients.
- Be flexible and available to interact and connect with people at all levels in the organization.
- Be self-directed and motivated.
- Have demonstrated experience with Environmental, Health, and Safety program development, implementation and training including: lock out/tag out, confined space entry, chemical hygiene, respiratory protection, fall protection, hazardous and non-hazardous waste management, chemical management and behavior-based safety programs.
- Be able to provide night and weekend coverage as needed, with on-call status with expectations of immediate response.
Leadership Skills Required
- Take ownership and responsibility for actions, behaviors and contributions.
- Strong ability to inspire and motivate self and others.
- Able to work collaboratively with all teams and departments to continuously improve environmental, health, safety and sustainability performance in bakery.
- Creatively manage numerous tasks and set priorities to solve and prevent problems, with ability to delegate work responsibilities as required.
- Ability to prepare reports and correspondence and to perform analysis of data.
- Display individual leadership skills, resolve problems/conflicts, and mentor/coach as needed.
Technical Expertise Required
- Experience with OSHA and EPA regulations and application in food production.
- Knowledge of hazardous and overall waste management.
- Experience with Workers’ Compensation Program administration.
- Experienced at training maintenance and production personnel.
- Experience with previous manufacturing plant or line start-ups a strong plus.
- BA or BS required.
- 10 years’ experience in supervisory/ management role.
- Lean training desired
- Behavior-based safety training/experience a plus
Be Yourself…Take yourself lightly and your work seriously. And…bring your best self to work each day!
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com