Manager, Employee Engagement (HR)
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses. For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Manager will primarily oversee staff onboarding, employee benefits selection and enrollment, and all staff engagement activities. The Manager will also support on other Human Resources projects related to supporting staff once at Ceres. This job offers an opportunity for a thoughtful, detail-oriented, organized, team-oriented and trustworthy individual interested in Human Resources as a career to join a growing organization and engage in a mix of HR activities. This mid-level position is full-time, located in our Boston office, and will work with and report to the Senior Department Director of Human Resources and Operations. Primary duties include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the onboarding process for all new staff, including
- Welcome message to new staff
- Organizing set-up of accounts, equipment and systems
- Organizing all onboarding sessions for new staff and coordinate current staff to support
- Conducting onboarding sessions related to HR functions
- Manage state enrollment processes when hiring staff based outside of our Boston or San Francisco offices
- Partner with Senior Director on visa application processing for staff
Employee Benefits (with Payroll)
- Manage benefits evaluation, selection, and enrollment to include:
- processing all associated paperwork for new and current staff, including change documents
- proposing new benefits options to Director and Executive Team
- managing external vendor relationship for those who provide benefits
- manage all reporting (internally and externally) related to employee benefits
- Partner with Senior Director in annual review and selection process of employee benefits
- Organize annual benefits activity or event around open enrollment time
- Enroll staff in Paycor HRIS system and maintain/update employee data and produce reports as needed for internal and external purposes
- Monitor employee time-off accruals and use systems to manage
- Track employee demographic data and provide to Development for funding proposals
- Oversee monthly and quarterly bill processing from benefits vendors, including reconciliation and adjustments
- Serve as primary lead with benefits vendors and liaison to vendors to address staff problems or questions
- Design and implement employee engagement activities to help staff better understand their benefits and Ceres’ employee policies
- Conduct annual benefits satisfaction survey and produce annual reports about staff participation & satisfaction to inform decisions about benefits changes
- Review bi-weekly payroll for benefits contribution reconciliation
- Process bi-weekly payroll for final approval by Senior Director and gather accompanying documents
- Manage relationship with HRIS provider and train other HR & Ops staff to use the system
- Partner with external vendor, on an annual basis, to produce a Total Compensation Statement for active employees
- Partner with Senior Director on managing HR compliance
- Partner with Senior Director on updating and distributing the Employee Handbook
- Develop Employee Engagement program, including but not limited to
- evaluating staff satisfaction
- suggesting improvements to address staff issues and ensure retention
- supporting Ceres’ inclusion and equity activities
- creating communications campaigns to address concerns
- serving on the Culture Committee and leading sub-committees where needed
- Partner with Senior Director on Exit Interview process to learn more about how to improve the staff experience at Ceres
- At minimum, 5 years of work experience, in an office setting, required.
- At minimum, 3 years of direct Human Resources experience, required.
- Demonstrated interest in expanding study in Human Resources field, a plus.
- Strong project management skills and ability to prioritize projects. Proven track record of successfully completing projects on time and within budget.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, proven ability to demonstrate initiative and motivation.
- Understand how to manage confidential information in an appropriate manner.
- Strong ethical sensibility.
- Interest in building a workplace where inclusion and equity for all people is valued.
- Well-developed organizational and problem-solving skills necessary.
- Ability to look at problems as opportunities.
- Strong attention to detail and good follow-through on projects and communication.
- Effective presentation style as well as strong speaking and written communication skills.
- Ability to translate legal, tax or human resources matters into everyday language for staff to understand.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Prior experience in a fast-paced, growth-oriented organization, a plus.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, required.
- Familiarity with a database system, preferred.
- Desire to work in a mission-driven, non-profit organization, a plus.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.