Baltimore County is hiring a Sustainability Officer to lead the County Executive's initiatives to mitigate the impact of climate change, promote sustainable development, reduce energy consumption, and promote green infrastructure. This Sustainability Officer will report to the County Administrative Officer and County Chief of Staff, with a dotted line to the Director of Environmental Protection and Sustainability, and will coordinate inter-departmental sustainability initiatives. The ideal candidate has knowledge of sustainable growth policies; understanding of federal, state and local laws governing environmental protection, transportation, community development and land use; familiarity with local government planning and development processes; and knowledge of federal, state and philanthropic funding to support sustainability initiatives.
Examples of Duties
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Leads the development of a County-wide sustainability plan, including creation of a dashboard to monitor and measure the impact of initiatives quantitatively and qualitatively on a consistent basis.
- Partners with the County Executive's senior leadership team to develop department-level sustainability plans, and monitors and reports on each department's progress towards its goals.
- Coordinates interdepartmental sustainability initiatives on behalf of the County Executive.
- Conducts research and issues reports on sustainability trends, emerging technologies, initiatives and best practices.
- Proposes policies and develops and implements programs to ensure Baltimore County's sustainability programs are effective and aligned with best practices.
- Partners with the County Executive's communications team to promote sustainability programs.
- Oversees efforts to strengthen County investments in renewables to reduce energy use.
- Develops a comprehensive strategy to increase the County's resilience to flooding and other extreme weather associated with climate change.
- Identifies and pursues federal, state and private grant funding for sustainability initiatives.
- Serves as a liaison between the County Executive and environmental advocacy organizations.
- Law degree required; Minimum 7 years of related experience in sustainability, environmental law or policy, planning, community development, and/or environmental protection.
- Experience developing public policy and designing and implementing sustainability programs.
- Track record of engaging with a diverse set of stakeholders and working collaboratively with other senior colleagues to craft a common vision and direction.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience convening government officials and community stakeholders to create policies and implement programs.
Conditions of Employment
Medical Examination and Employment Background Investigation
Applicants selected for an appointment to a position in Baltimore County must successfully complete a physical examination and drug screen and an employment background investigation, including, but not limited to a criminal background, education, and fingerprint check.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com