The restoration tech works with the crew chief to restore natural areas as part of ecosystem management. Work includes herbicide application for invasive species control, prescribed burn management, and removal of non-native brush. The tech will report directly to the work location.
· Ability to obtain a Pesticide/Herbicide license in the state of Illinois.
· Ability to operate a variety of power tools and equipment safely.
· Understanding of herbicide uses and application techniques.
· Understanding of prescribed burn techniques.
· Ability to assess a job site and work patterns for safe operations.
· Knowledge of environmental conservation skills and basic environmental education
· Ability to identify native and invasive plant species.
· Ability to perform a variety manual labor task for extended periods of time, in rough terrain, and often under adverse weather conditions.
· Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
· Ability to understand and follow Semper Fi systems and processes.
· Ability to work and engage trust with a diverse population of people.
· Ability to structure work to meet project deadlines.
· Sustained performance in previous positions.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Spanish speaking a plus.
Key Functions & Responsibilities
Non-inclusive list of responsibilities and role functions:
· Be aware of activities throughout project site: ensure proper and safe use of equipment, make corrections as soon as improper or safe usage is known.
· Restoring forest health and reducing safety risks through tree thinning using powered equipment & controlled burns; constructing and maintaining trails; constructing and maintaining fences and outdoor facilities; maintaining public park space and recreation areas; planting (trees, grasses, natural and decorative plants, etc.), conducting native plant revegetation, and eradicating exotic plant species; conducting ecological testing and monitoring; and other functions as required.
· Monitor weather forecast and recognize changes in weather: re-work assignments as necessary to accommodate weather (e.g., do not mix chemicals when rain is imminent, do not conduct burns if high winds are predicted or apparent, etc.)
· Maintaining (cleaning & inspecting) and repairing, or arranging for the repair of, hand and power tools and other equipment on a daily basis. Ready equipment at the end of each day: Be ready for tomorrow today.
· Other functions as required or directed by manager and company principals
Scope & Essential Functions
· Travel to worksites is required; must have reliable personal transportation.
· Required to have experience/knowledge of typical field crew tasks including planting, weeding, herbicide application, erosion control, and burn procedures.
· Must be able to stoop, stand and bend for extended periods of time and work on uneven and/or difficult terrain, in standing or flowing water, and in environments of fluctuating temperatures.
· Must be able to keep a level head and good attitude under stress.
· Must be able to lift and carry 50 lbs. for up to 4 hours at a time for an entire field shift in a day with only brief breaks.
· Must be able to spend extended periods of time walking and standing for up to 4 hours at a time for an entire field shift in a day with only brief breaks.
· Should know basic first aid, first aid certification is a plus.
· Attention to Detail: Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
· Integrity: Job requires consistency of actions, methods, principles, expectations, and outcomes.
· Cooperation: Job requires working or acting together as a member of a team for a common purpose or benefit.
· Dependability: Job requires excellent attendance, reliability, responsibility, and obligation fulfillment.
· Concern for Others: Job requires being sensitive to others' needs and feelings which includes being helpful on the job.
· Independence: At times, job requires guiding oneself with little or no supervision, and depending on oneself to get things done.
· Self-Control: Job requires maintaining composure, keeping emotions in check, controlling anger, and avoiding aggressive behavior, even in very difficult situations.
· Stress Tolerance: Job requires accepting criticism and dealing calmly and effectively with high stress situations.
· Initiative: Job requires a willingness to personally take on responsibilities and challenges.
· Flexibility: Job requires being adaptable, open to change (positive or negative) and comfortable with considerable variety in the workplace.
· Time Management: Job requires making sure jobs are done within expected time frames.
· Problem Solving: Job requires responsibility for trouble shooting and problem resolution or recommendations, based on experience & ability.
· Communication: Job requires excellent verbal communication skills.
High Performance Objectives (Optional, and Recommended)
High Performance Criteria
· Achieve an Exceeds or Fully Meets rating on 100% of the Key Functions & Responsibilities directly related to the incumbent’s position, with at least 60% of all items reaching an Exceeds rating.
· Achieve an Exceeds or Fully Meets assessment on all KSA’s and other requirements.
· Achieve an Exceeds or Fully Meets assessment on all Work Style items, with more than 75% at an Exceeds rating.
· Consistently meet requirements of Scope and Essential Functions items.