Phillips Wharf is offering an Americorps sponsored Environmental Educator position to recent college graduates or like experienced applicants interested in aquaculture, marine or environmental sciences.
Responsibilities Include but not limited to:
- Assisting with Fishmobile events and programs (travelling to schools and festivals educating about the Chesapeake Bay)
- Interacting with visitors about plants and animals in the Chesapeake Bay watershed in our classroom and estuarium displays
- Working with the community and Phillips Wharf volunteers during local clean-up events
- Assisting in the upkeep and husbandry of our estuarium animal displays
- Aiding in the development of our environmental education programs and outreach
- Helping with the ongoing oyster aquaculture facilities and oyster farming practices
Benefits available to AmeriCorps Member may include:
- Valuable job experience in the environmental education field
- Joining a fun team committed to help you learn and grow
- A bi-weekly stipend
- An education award ($ for future educational expenses or student loans)
- 6 tuition free credits at Salisbury University for completion of the training course
Recent college graduates with an interest in environmental sciences are especially desirable. It is essential that applicants be comfortable teaching and interacting with children due to the many field trips we host. On-property housing is provided in a shared staff house; rent, utilities, furnishings, and wifi included free-of-charge.
- Recent college graduate with a degree in aquaculture, biology, marine science, environmental science, or a related field (related fields may not require a college degree).
- MUST be able to lift 50lbs.
- MUST be comfortable working on small skiff boat for long periods of time, working outdoors in all weather conditions, and getting wet and dirty continuously throughout the day.
- Must be able to work closely with animals (large fish, crabs, turtles) and small children.
- Good communication skills
- Must be comfortable speaking with the public.
- Strongly recommended that applicants have a car. The area is very remote, there is no public transport, and the closest grocery store is 14 miles away.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com