Job Role Summary
MAIN FUNCTIONS (During Project Phase)
The ER advisor owns all of the project regulatory compliance planning and has the primary responsibility to identify regulatory requirements, develop compliance plans, and document these in the Regulatory Compliance Plan. The ER advisor communicates requirements to the affected project team members and stakeholders, and works with regulatory authorities to obtain applicable licenses and permits.
MAIN FUNCTIONS (After Project Phase)
Provides ER support to operating assets (e.g. refinery, chemical or lubricant plant facilities) and or project. The ER "Advisor" role is structured to help build a professional foundation and promote rapid skill development while contributing to business results. ER advisors will focus on building core expertise in environmental compliance and regulatory standards while interfacing and building relationships with internal customers (e.g. operations or marketing), internal partners (e.g. engineering or project disciplines) and external partners (contractors and regulatory agencies) in alignment with business need.
Candidates should be self-motivated and focused on achieving business results through a multi-disciplinary team. Demonstrated teamwork, communication and leadership skills are essential. Candidate should be flexible with regard to domestic and international travel.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering preferably in Petroleum, Chemical or Environmental. Other degrees will be considered commensurate with work experience.
- Candidates should have experience regarding the environmental and/or health field(s) preferably related to a construction or oil and gas industry project
- Candidates with experience in Refinery / Petrochemical / Power / Fertilisers plant operations preferred
- Knowledge of India specific regulations essential
- Excellent English speaking and writing skills required. Familiarity with Marathi is desirable
- Candidates should have good interpersonal and communication skills
- Minimum 10 years of relevant professional experience is required.
- Experience and capability to engage at senior levels of government and industry.
Job Role Responsibilities
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES (During Project Phase)
- Serves as lead staff contact with federal, state, and local regulators that have regulatory jurisdiction over the various components of the project
- Develop the Preliminary Regulatory Compliance Plan outlining permits required, details of the information required to support the regulatory compliance and permitting process, schedules/timeline for developing permit applications, and regulatory review and approval
- Clearly identify key issues, constraints, and vulnerabilities early, and develop mitigation plans to prevent negative cost/schedule impacts
- Establish regulatory authority interface strategies that consider negotiations, issues arising from multiple agency jurisdictions, local, regional, and national level requirements
- Establish interface/communications process with regulatory groups and conduct early discussions with regulators to ensure alignment in understanding and expectations, identify any concerns, and prepare the path to a smooth permit application/approval process
- Stay informed and engaged during the permit review and approval process, and expedite as needed to ensure that permitting does not constrain the project progress or negatively impact the schedule
- Ensure that environmental and regulatory requirements/standards are properly integrated into project design and implementation plans
- Maintain alignment and manage interfaces within the Integrated Project Team (IPT) regarding overall work plans and obligations; organize/participate in weekly and monthly meetings to ensure common understanding of requirements, deliverables, and status of the work
- Steward ongoing permitting activities and compliance issues to IPT management
- Identify any US Export Controls issues and sensitivities, and develop plans to address them
- Identify/develop budgets associated with permitting and other compliance activities, and ensure they are included in the project estimates
- Highlight permitting issues/recommendations to IPT Management on a real-time basis for resolution
- Steward the Regulatory Compliance Plan
- Interface with the IPT to ensure regulatory requirements affecting commissioning and start-up are well understood by Manufacturing, and reflected in commissioning/start-up planning
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES (After Project Phase)
- Understand applicable regulations impacting customer (e.g. Operations, Marketing or Projects) and work to implement cost-effective solutions that ensure compliance.
- Support environmental business planning, permitting and (if applicable), environmental impact assessment processes.
- Understand how OIMS is used to drive environmental protection and regulatory compliance and support the corresponding work processes.
- Become familiar with operating asset, marketing unit or project within job scope; company environmental policy and standards.
- Understand company positions on environmental and regulatory issues both locally and broadly and support advocacy with governmental and non-governmental institutions.
- Support compliance assurance systems (e.g. prepare regulatory reviews or outlooks, analysis of new regulations, support regulatory or OIMS assessments).
- Recommend SSHE improvements to plant operations to ensure overall SSHE compliance
- Help provide training on regulatory and environmental requirements (e.g. refresher training to unit operators).
Expected Level of Proficiency
Review the level of proficiency needed in this Job Role for both Functional Skills and Behavioral Skills.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com