Rare is an international non-profit organization committed to scaling behavior-centered solutions for conservation. It is implementing a global initiative called Fish Forever, which is focused on coastal fisheries reform. Rare is about to embark on a new four-year grant, called “Fishing for Climate Resilience: Empowering vulnerable, fisheries dependent communities adopt ecosystem-based-adaptation measures to secure food and livelihoods”, under the German Environment Ministry’s International Climate Initiative (BMUB-IKI), which will be implemented in three (3) geographies: Indonesia, Micronesia (covering Palau, FSM and Republic of the Marshall Islands), and the Philippines.
The project, which will employ the Fish Forever approach, is designed to empower vulnerable fisheries-dependent communities in Indonesia, the Philippines and Micronesia to identify and implement ecosystem-based adaptation (EbA) measures to restore and sustain small scale fisheries (SSF), conserve critical ecosystems and sustain the ecosystem services needed to enhance adaptive capacity, coastal protection, food security and livelihoods. Proven behavior adoption strategies and trainings will strengthen human, technical and institutional capacity needed to reduce risks to the small-scale fisheries sector, build resilience and food security, as well as secure livelihoods. The project will incorporate EbA and disaster risk into coastal fisheries management and thus, mainstream EbA into community practice and relevant national strategies; facilitate access to existing climate financing mechanisms; and share lessons at relevant national and international forums.
Rare is seeking to hire a Program Associate who will be responsible for supporting program implementation in FSM, Palau and the Marshall Islands. He/she shall perform the following range of duties and responsibilities:
Program Management Support
Working closely with the two other staff in Micronesia, as well as Rare’s central and training teams, yhe Program Associate shall help ensure the effective delivery of the program in three countries, primarily through, but not limited to, the following ways:
- Organize and provide administrative and logistics support to meetings, training events and workshops
- Coordinate and communicate with local partners and stakeholders, facilitate reporting and monitoring of activities
- Oversee procurement and contracting for third-party service and goods providers
- Coordinate with consultants and assist project recipients to ensure smooth conduct of all activities
- Data collection (M and E documents) and compilation of reports from sites
- Documentation during meetings and workshops
- Perform other related duties as maybe deemed necessary to ensure a successful turnout of workshops and other activities
Administration and Operations Support
The Program Associate shall coordinate closely with the Finance and Operations team based in the Philippines to ensure the smooth operation of Rare in Micronesia.
- Ensure that Micronesia team is compliant with Rare’s financial requirements and support submission of expense reports and other documentation
- Assist consultants and partners in submitting expense reports and other relevant documents like approved work and financial plan to comply with the financial requirements of Rare.
- Manage office environment within shared workspaces to be set up
- Maintain supplies, office equipment, subscriptions, etc as needed
- Facilitate coordination and regular check-in’s between Micronesia team and central operations
- Maintain an effective filing system for the team
- Be the contact person during the absence of the other team members
- Take minutes of regular team meetings
- Maintain and update the database and mailing list of partners and stakeholders thru Smartsheet or Microsoft Office suite
- Maintain and regularly update travel plans including coordinating with travel agency/ies to obtain estimated fares and quotations
- Coordinate with IT in Indonesia office for the delivery of IT services and technology needs of the team;
- Manage IT assets and inform IT of any problems or changes;
- Maintain a supply of First Aid materials and medicines in the office along with a travel kit for workshops and trainings held outside the office, ensuring that the staff has access to necessary medical supplies when needed.
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of three (3) years relevant working experience is a must;
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, natural science, business administration, or any related course;
- Ability to accurately and efficiently review and analyze detailed information;
- Knowledge of local fiscal and labor requirements a strong plus;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to multitask;
- Experience in procurement and office management duties; working with IT systems a plus;
- Proven ability in logistics support, both program and admin; exceptional in collaborating with different teams to find creative solutions to logistical needs;
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues and information;
- Proficiency in the use of computers for: Word processing, basic accounting, managing databases, spreadsheets and familiarity on use of online project management tools;
- Ability to manage changing priorities and competing deadlines to ensure high-quality standards;
- Good communication skills, both oral and written;
- Enthusiasm for Rare’s mission and respect for its values, culture and people.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com