DEPARTMENT: Environmental Services (ESD)
TITLE: Student Intern/Graduate Student Intern
LOCATION: San José City Hall
TERM OF ASSIGNMENT: August 2019 – July 2020 (with the possibility of extension)
HOURS PER WEEK: 20 – 30
COMPENSATION: Salary ranges are dependent on qualifications
Student Intern $11.48 – $16.38 per hour (unbenefited)
Graduate Student Intern $14.84 – $21.92 per hour (unbenefited)
About the Department
The mission of the Environmental Services Department is to deliver world-class utility services and programs to improve our health, environment and economy. Through proactive, strategic work plans, ESD’s Communications Division conducts outreach that is creative, articulate and resource-efficient to motivate positive environmental change.
Position and Duties
Your communications, journalism or writing and analytical skills will contribute to the sustainability of our city as you work alongside and assist a professional communications team. You’ll gain experience and build your portfolio as you provide general support with outreach plans, writing, community relations and social media. As a part of ESD’s Communications Division, you’ll work with communication strategists who strive to inform and engage our audiences and encourage behavior changes needed to conserve natural resources and safeguard the environment.
Responsibilities and duties include but are not limited to:
• Participating in the research, development and implementation of outreach plans, collateral, and program and project goals.
• Providing creative writing and other technical assistance on a variety of collateral materials including news releases, articles, webpages, brochures, flyers and audio/video scripts.
• Fact-checking, proofreading, formatting and editing as needed.
• Gathering story ideas and creating social media posts related to ESD’s key messages.
• Planning, coordinating, conducting and attending events and meetings as needed.
• Collecting and analyzing data and creating reports on program/outreach evaluations.
• May include other duties and tasks of a similar nature as assigned.
Other desirable skills:
• Microsoft Office Suite
• Adobe Creative Suite
• Social media experience/knowledge
Student Intern: Current enrollment in an undergraduate program at an accredited college or university is required. Concentration in Journalism, Writing, Communications or Public Relations is preferred.
Graduate Student Intern: Current enrollment in a graduate program at an accredited college or university is required. Concentration in Journalism, Writing, Communications or Public Relations is preferred.
CURRENT ENROLLMENT: Student interns must continue to be enrolled in a college or university over the course of their employment with the City of San José.
Employment Eligibility: Federal law requires all employees to provide verification of their eligibility to work in this country. Please be informed that the City of San José will NOT sponsor, represent or sign any documents related to visa applications/transfers for H1-B or any other type of visa which requires an employer application.
If you are interested, please send an email to Carlos Velazquez at Carlos.Velazquez@sanjoseca.gov stating that you are interested along with the answers to the questions below by Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 11:59pm.
1. Are you available to work at City of San José City Hall (200 E. Santa Clara Street, San Jose, CA 95113)?
2. Are you available to work for at least a 12-month duration (approximately August 2019 to July 2020)?
3. When is your expected graduation date?
4. What is your area of study/major?
5. State the type of college program for which you are currently accepted or enrolled: Bachelor Degree Program or Master Degree Program.
6. Describe your experience in communications, journalism, or graphic design.
If you have questions regarding the hiring process, you may contact Amarjeet Rai at Amarjeet.Rai@sanjoseca.gov. If you have questions regarding the job, please contact Carlos Velazquez at Carlos.Velazquez@sanjoseca.gov
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com