The Sustainability Department leads sustainability, climate, and energy policy and projects for the City. A large portion of the department's work is driven by the implementation of the City's Climate Action Plan (CAP) adopted in 2015 which aims to reduce local greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by 50 percent below 2010 levels by 2035. By doing so, the Plan sets the City on a path to meet the State of California's requirement to reduce emissions by 80 percent below 1990 levels by 2050.
Though various City departments are involved in the implementation of the CAP, the Sustainability Department is responsible for the cross departmental coordination of these efforts on a day-to-day basis. The Sustainability Department currently has 24 budgeted positions and a Fiscal Year 2019 budget of approximately $4.9 million.
Under the guidance of the Director/Deputy Director of the Sustainability Department, the Sustainability & Technology Program Manager is responsible for overseeing the development and implementation of policies and projects that enable the City to use advanced technologies to obtain more efficient and effective outcomes in reaching sustainability targets. This includes technologies such as Internet-of-Things (IoT) solutions, building/energy management systems, new mobility data and technologies, zero emissions vehicles infrastructure and expansion, sustainability-related market transformation opportunities, big data analytics and machine learning. This position will also be expected to seek and manage grant funding in support of program goals and actions.
The Program Manager will be a part of the Sustainability Department's leadership team, and as such, will also contribute to the vision, mission, and general administrative duties of the department. This position will be expected to contribute to effective operations of the City's day-to-day sustainability programs including: directing, managing, supervising, participating, and coordinating the activities and operations relating to the work of staff, and stakeholders responsible for implementation, monitoring, and measurement of the City's comprehensive Climate Action Plan and broader sustainability efforts. This position will also be expected to present on efforts of their team and the department to City management, City Council, and public audiences.
- Bachelor's Degree in Public Policy, Public or Business Administration, Sustainability, Engineering, Data Science, or a related field, and
- A minimum of five (5) years of professional experience in sustainability, renewable energy, technology procurement, mobility data and technologies, sustainability-related market transformation opportunities, energy efficiency or other government services management is highly desirable.
- Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates these qualifications may be qualifying.
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Identify opportunities for expanding data and technology applications in new and existing building energy management systems, new mobility data and technologies, renewable energy use, energy storage capabilities, IoT solutions, and zero emissions vehicles (ZEV).
- Identify and implement innovative or critical technology projects for the City to lead or participate in and help demonstrate technology applications for other sustainability programs throughout the region, state, and country.
- Integrate various City goals, project, and key outcomes into the department's work and the deployment of advanced sustainability technology.
- Identify market transformation opportunities in the sustainability field and related business engagement opportunities.
- Manage a team responsible for cross-departmental implementation of the ZEV policies and infrastructure and provide support to other departments.
- Serve as the City's spokesperson on energy and other sustainability technology projects as well as department efforts.
- Focus on collaboration by seeking and building upon partnerships within the City and public-private relationships with external parties.
- Provide regional, state, and national thought leadership in technology & sustainability.
- Track statewide regulatory or legislative actions and propose options for engagement.
- Coordinate grant writing and budgeting of resources to support the City's sustainability initiatives.
- Carry-out additional duties as necessary.
The ideal candidate will be an experienced energy and sustainability professional capable of managing programs, deploying the department's resources in innovative yet responsible ways to maximize effectiveness, and raising the City's profile in sustainability and technology circles. In addition, the candidate will possess, at a minimum, the following qualifications:
- A commitment to public service, fiscal responsibility and innovation in government.
- A commitment to the team and to always being a team player.
- A focus on enhanced services and customer satisfaction.
- Excellence in clear, well-documented, and transparent accounting of all aspects of projects from budgeting and financing strategies to communication of outcomes.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in sustainability and energy technology, applications, financing, and best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to engage partners in new solutions applicable within a local government setting.
- Expertise in electric or other zero emissions vehicles infrastructure, policy, and supply chain.
- Experience with new mobility technologies and opportunities.
- Demonstrated experience with concept and actual application of technology platforms and procurement, including return on investment calculations, business finance, data privacy controls, and points in which to change or utilize city or state code to increase responsible use of data to drive sustainability outcomes.
- Experience implementing projects, ranging from funding a project to design, construction, monitoring/verification of systems, and operation.
- Experience or knowledge of innovative tools to track mobility, waste and/or energy use, visualize data for effective analysis and communication, and implementation of projects or programs based on data/visualization of data.
- Ability to navigate government procurement and other processes to allow for innovation.
- Progressively responsible management experience reflecting ability to foster and nurture productive employees and build teams.
- Collaborative skill in working with other city departments, businesses, elected officials, the public, and other government agencies.
- Proven skill in overseeing project and program management and attention to detail.
- Ability to balance competing interests and build consensus.
- Strong interpersonal skills, communication (written and verbal) and presentation skills, with the ability to successfully interact with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Active and genuine commitment to managing diversity in the workplace and overseeing a diverse team.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com