Tetra Tech Inc. is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—16,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. Tetra Tech, Inc. is currently seeking a qualified Bat Biologist for its Portland, Oregon office location to support projects across the country. The position involves providing strategic task management, technical direction and consulting, and scientific support to various projects involving bat species and habitats. These projects generally emphasize land use or natural resources development-related environmental impact analysis, management planning, and regulatory compliance. Effects on bat species and habitats resulting from renewable energy (i.e., wind and solar) and linear infrastructure (i.e., transmission and pipe lines) developments are of specific interest. Studies and analyses supporting projects involving Indiana bats and northern long-eared bats, baseline acoustical monitoring, and Habitat Conservation Plans are prominent.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Field investigations and ecological assessments (including study design and implementation, data collection and statistical analysis, interpretation, conclusions and recommendations)
- Technical review and coordination (i.e., information synthesis and interpretation, assurance of quality of work processes and products)
- Wildlife-related environmental impacts analysis, regulatory compliance/permitting, and client and agency contacts; and
- Project development (i.e., work scopes, proposals and costs)
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATION:
- A Bachelor’s or master’s degree in applicable field (bat biology/ecology, biological science, natural resources or wildlife management, or a closely related discipline)
- Strong technical skills in field ecology methods and acoustic data analysis
- A minimum of 2-3 years of professional experience in wildlife ecology and management
- A minimum of 2 years of technical experience in the evaluation of land use or resource development effects on wildlife species and habitats, especially bats
- Strong skills in report writing and editing, interpersonal communication and oral presentation, and organization and planning
- Ability to act independently with minimal supervision, handle multiple tasks, and produce high-quality work under tight deadlines
- A commitment to quality management, continuous improvement, and client satisfaction
OTHER DESIRABLE KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
- Biological science (including T/E species and species-habitat relationships) and ecological assessment.
- Species-habitat conservation planning and natural/biological resources management
- Bat surveys; including hibernacula surveys, acoustic surveys with zero-crossing and full spectrum detectors, and mist netting (USFWS endangered species capture permit or qualified surveyor status a plus)
- Bat acoustic analysis with Kaleidoscope Pro and Sonobat
- An ability to review, synthesize, and interpret natural/biological resources information
- A working knowledge of federal and state environmental regulations for regulatory compliance/permitting and experience with ESA
- A background in environmental consulting industry (or combination of agency/consulting or academic/consulting)
- A record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and presentation of research results at scientific meetings
- Statistical analyses and modelling, including developing code driven scripts using R, python, etc.
- Flexibility and adaptability to meet fast-paced demands and the cyclical and deadline-driven nature of consulting
- Proficiency with the MS Office suite of tools and software
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer and we do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability, sexual orientation, or age.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com