Become a Part of the NIKE, Inc. Team
NIKE, Inc. does more than outfit the world's best athletes. It is a place to explore potential, obliterate boundaries and push out the edges of what can be. The company looks for people who can grow, think, dream and create. Its culture thrives by embracing diversity and rewarding imagination. The brand seeks achievers, leaders and visionaries. At Nike, it’s about each person bringing skills and passion to a challenging and constantly evolving game.
Nike, Inc. Product Development is key to making next-level products. The first spark of an idea puts the team in motion, ultimately transforming a designer’s sketch into a commercially viable product. The teams of developers, testers, engineers and designers collaborate on refining each product’s construction, fit and style. Using advancements in technology and sustainable design, the Product Development teams accelerate innovation while reflecting the soul of sport.
Innovation is oxygen for Nike, Inc., and the company depends on its talented, global workforce to breathe originality and curiosity into everything they do. The Nike Advanced Innovation team strives for lighter, faster, bigger, smarter, smaller, more efficient, more sustainable and more personal. They imagine, research, analyze and invent the next industry-changing technology to advance athletic performance. In roles that span research, design, materials and manufacturing, the Advanced Innovation team looks to the future and focuses on making the seemingly impossible, possible.
The Senior Director of Sustainable Innovation Initiatives will lead the Science and Technology Innovation team as part of larger Nike Innovation teams, responsible for exploring, discovering and testing new science-based solutions that enable a sustainable future for Nike.
Role / Responsibilities
- Look strategically across Nike’s advanced innovation landscape to identify areas of potential impact reduction and adoption opportunity, and work to align teams in those areas to prioritize sustainability objectives
- Provide strategic and scientific thought leadership and inspiration to help identify best-in-class innovative solutions for creating sustainable product capabilities.
- Scope, landscape, discover and test potential solutions, e.g., low impact materials and manufacturing solutions, aligned with priority objectives. Work with sustainable analytics teams to assess potential, help narrow opportunities using scientific rigor combined with understanding of brand and consumer value. Integrate solutions across NXT product teams.
- Manage team responsible for scientific scouting; work with multiple innovation functions and product teams to investigate discoveries, and test and support development to proof of concept stage in partnership with those teams.
- Apply sustainability expertise to help steer the development and commercialization of low impact materials, manufacturing innovations and other sustainability advancements by supporting program owners to provide the appropriate level of subject matter expertise. Transition ownership of solutions to appropriate teams through development.
- Engage internal/external technical specialists and innovation partners as required to meet project requirements. Develop scope, cost schedule and deliverables to engage outside expertise to assist or deliver projects.
- Manage contracts to ensure quality of deliverables. Take ownership of the work and drive progress against an aggressive annual work planning that emphasizes accountability and financial stewardship.
- Advanced degree, Masters or PhD preferred, in Materials, Textile, Chemical, Mechanical or Process Engineering, with minimum of 8 to 10+ years working experience in relevant field, with experience in systems thinking, technical diligence and life-cycle analysis.
- Be a recognized leader in the future of materials and manufacturing, with a deep technical background. Ability to work in a dynamic team of equals as a team, with expert qualifications, skills and experiences.
- Have a proven track record of overseeing the design and simultaneous implementation of multiple disruptive innovation programs at varying stages of maturity.
- Keen application of scientific problem-solving skills to support sound decision making.
- Track record of recruiting and retaining a diverse team; ability to balance diverse perspectives while creating positive collaborative relationships with key stakeholders.
- Show a tested skill for navigating complex orgs, decision-making networks at multiple levels of a company, and management of ambiguity.
- Demonstrate a clear passion for sustainability and sport. Engender an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Skilled presenter and influencer with excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills and the ability to make the complex simple.
NIKE, Inc. is a growth company that looks for team members to grow with it. Nike offers a generous total rewards package, casual work environment, a diverse and inclusive culture, and an electric atmosphere for professional development. No matter the location, or the role, every Nike employee shares one galvanizing mission: To bring inspiration and innovation to every athlete* in the world.
NIKE, Inc. is committed to employing a diverse workforce. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or disability.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com