Washington, DC; San Francisco, CA; Oakland, CA
ABOUT THE OPPORTUNITY Greenpeace believes that climate change is the most urgent problem facing our planet right now, and the window for meaningful action is closing fast. Corporations and governments lack ambition, and in many cases are actively obstructing climate solutions.
Greenpeace is hiring a Climate Campaigner to work with supporters across the country and with allies to pressure our political institutions and some of our leading companies to take action on climate before it’s too late. The Climate Campaigner will work with our experts in communications, research, and digital to craft campaigns and interventions that change the conversation on climate and spur action at the highest levels of government and corporations to secure a just, green and peaceful future for all.
The Climate Campaigner will use their creative communications, campaigning and digital organizing skills to inform and engage Greenpeace supporters on issues of climate, and working in coalition with allies in the environmental, labor, civil rights and other movement sectors to advance our shared campaign goals. This is a full time, exempt, benefits eligible position reporting to the Climate Director based in Washington, DC.
- Identify campaign opportunities in the external world and develop and deliver campaign strategies and interventions that move GPUS closer to our agreed campaign objectives
- Creatively communicate climate issues, opportunities and interventions, esp through Greenpeace social media channels and via other platforms to reach, inspire and engage our supporters and allies
- Represent Greenpeace US among external partners and in the media, and working within coalition spaces to further campaign and organizational goals
- Work with GP grassroots, online and engagement staff to identify and act on strategic opportunities to mobilize GP’s network of supporters and activists
- Contribute and cultivate issue expertise on climate issues within teams
- Line manage individuals and coordinate teams as needed
- At least three (3) years of experience in developing and delivering campaigns.
- Campaign strategy skills, including experiencing of setting campaign objectives, develop a critical pathway/campaign strategy to achieve these, and selecting an effective series of interventions that strengthens our supporter base and meets the campaign objectives.
- Organizational skills, including experience with running fast paced, creative, engaging activist projects and campaigns project administration.
- Proven understanding of and ability with social media practices, principles and implementation.
- Clear understanding of the relationship between digital engagement and campaigning and advocacy and basic implementation skills, including experience with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) tools such as EveryAction, ActionKit, or a similar membership platform (Or if this experience is not deep, eagerness to build these skills)
- Strong presentation skills, written and oral; comfort speaking to the public, Greenpeace supporters, allies and the media
- Commitment to nonviolence as a means of effecting change.
- Proven track record of reaching and inspiring people online to take action both online & offline
- Experience working in coalitions, including cross-cultural, cross-movement sector coalitions
- Experience in all phases of developing and running a project, from conception to completion
- General knowledge of climate-related topics desired but not essential if eager to dive in and learn.
If you want to save the world from climate change and believe in environmental justice, please submit an application on our careers page. Applications will be review on a rolling basis and will conclude once we have found the best candidate. Greenpeace is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, class, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, family/marital status, religion or other protected classes. We strongly encourage applications from marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact us.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com