Metric Environmental, LLC seeks a qualified Environmental Scientist experienced in National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) compliance to support transportation projects from our Indianapolis, Indiana office. This position requires the selected candidate to work independently and in team settings to conduct work both in the field and office. The role of NEPA Environmental Scientist will be to utilize technical expertise to manage multiple NEPA projects. Candidate should be familiar with the NEPA process of the Indiana Department of Transportation (INDOT), the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), and other federal agencies. Additionally, experience with the Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT) or Kentucky Transportation Cabinet (KYTC) would be a plus. This position may create and execute project work plans and revise as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements, identifies resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities, manages day-to-day operational aspects of a project, reviews deliverables prepared by team, effectively applies Metric methodology and enforces project standards. This position may include project accounting responsibilities such as tracking team hours, managing project budget, determining appropriate revenue recognition, and ensuring timely and accurate invoicing.
- Project management, including oversight, scope development, scheduling, on-budget completion, file/project set-up, and contracting while overseeing multiple projects.
- Independently lead the NEPA process and prepare NEPA related documents including CEs, EAs, EISs, state-level permits and notices.
- Review and interpret planning studies and/or preliminary design plan sets or concepts
- Attend client meetings, including project kick-offs, update meetings, field reviews, etc.
- Maintain project files with current documents.
- Interact with clients, regulatory agencies, and sub-consultants to achieve project objectives.
- Prepare graphical displays to support technical documentation and communicate technical data
- Utilize knowledge of local regulations, positive agency relationships, and a thorough understanding of environmental regulations at all levels of government to facilitate timely document and permit approvals, in order to prevent budget overages and delays.
- Utilize project management software to timely and accurately report time and expenses.
- Report to Senior Project Manager/Division Head issues of concern on any active project.
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in biology, natural sciences, environmental studies, or related field. A combination of relevant experience and education will combine for 5-7 years of practical experience.
- Previous project management experience related to client management, project Invoicing and proposal/fee preparation.
- A thorough understanding of federal, state, and local agency regulations regarding NEPA, Clean Water Act, Water Resources.
- Extensive knowledge of NEPA requirements and experience with implementation of NEPA, including successful completion of CEs and EAs.
- Demonstrated ability to author various environmental documents and the ability to explain regulations and guidance to the public.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications, including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Familiar with ArcGIS and associated programs.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively to achieve the goals and schedule of a project.
- Excellent public speaking and interpersonal skills.
Additional experience a plus, but not required:
- Wetland determination/delineation experience; or
- Archaeological experience
Metric Environmental is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com