Are you a GIS professional looking to work for a nationally-accredited public works organization serving over a million people in the DC metropolitan area? Fairfax County Department of Public Works and Environmental Services (DPWES) has an exciting opportunity for an experienced GIS Analyst.
The successful candidate will have advanced, wide-ranging knowledge in the esri ArcGIS platform, including production workflows, configuration and automation, administration, and customization. Experience integrating the esri ArcGIS system with other systems such as work order management, asset management, project management, etc.; and managing and leading small to medium-sized geospatial projects from initiation to acceptance and closing are highly preferred.
- Identify, design, develop and conduct spatial solutions/models to complex business problems for users;
- Creates/develops solutions for GIS systems (data, applications);
- Conducts data modeling;
- Guides GIS project personnel;
- Performs project management duties for spatial system development and implementation;
- Establishes standards and methods for developing GIS application software; database development and operation;
- Effectively participates and collaborates in cross-departmental teams. Develops documents and maintains data loading tools and processes;
- Develops and conducts advanced spatial queries in GIS data warehouse (e.g., with Oracle Spatial);
- Performs all stages of the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC), and applies relevant tasks and deliverables of the SDLC to GIS projects;
- Defines system/database requirements for spatial applications;
- Develops and performs enterprise level acceptance tests for GIS hardware and software;
- Utilizes IT Information Library (ITIL) and other relevant County standards on system projects;
- Provides training, guidance and assistance to lower level analysts;
- Designs, develops, conducts and implements training programs and classes;
- Provides technical support for complex system level problems;
- Evaluates, designs, and implements spatial data models;
- Serves on Selection Advisory Committee/Technical Advisory Committee to evaluate proposals submitted in response to Request for Proposals;
- Formulates detailed project plans and timelines;
- Coordinates efforts between GIS staff, other County staff, and contractors;
- Manages and leads the design and development of moderate to complex GIS applications;
- Provides technical assistance in data layer maintenance procedures;
- Communicates with agency GIS leaders to assess needs and develop priorities;
- Provides input to the GIS Spatial Analyst IV to help determine assignments of GIS resources to project initiatives;
- Coordinates with County agencies in providing connectivity between the GIS database and County enterprise databases;
- Provides GIS Liaison and coordination with neighboring jurisdictions and state agencies. Assists agencies with technical hardware and software resources required in a distributed environment;
- May supervise, assign, and evaluate work for GIS Spatial Analyst Is, IIs and Technicians;
- Provides assistance to other staff as needed;
- Provides both technical and functional GIS presentations to Senior County Management, Board Members, and constituents;
- Attends meetings and conferences related to GIS;
- Performs any of the illustrative duties in support of the Emergency Operations Center (EOC);
- Performs evaluation of suitability and capability, estimation and prediction, using spatial tools;
- Performs any or all of the four traditional types of spatial analysis: spatial overlay and contiguity analysis, surface analysis, linear analysis, and raster analysis.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of principles, practices, and methods related to systems such as Oracle, ARCGIS, and Access, and other GIS tools, utilities and databases;
- Knowledge of advanced spatial modeling techniques such as GIS network modeling, surface modeling, and/or complex spatial analysis, and synthesis involving integrated use of multiple data layers, map algebra, etc;
- Knowledge of constructing databases, developing normalized tables, and interfacing with different database systems such as Access data repositories;
- Knowledge of GIS spatial application development techniques;
- Knowledge of writing scripts such as SQL, Python, and various object oriented programming languages;
- Knowledge of System Administration Techniques;
- Knowledge of current spatial quality control functions in GIS;
- Ability to manage small to medium sized projects;
- Ability to perform advanced overlay analysis operations using both vector and raster tools to answer complex questions;
- Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate the work of subordinate staff and staff in other
- agencies; Ability to develop and implement new and innovative methods, techniques, and procedures;
- Ability to document and communicate system modifications and enhancements;
- Ability to assist users in solving GIS systems and analytical problems;
- Ability to translate technical terminology into terms understandable to management and employees;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective business relationships.
Any combination of education, experience and training equivalent to a bachelor's degree in computer science, geography or related field that included coursework in Oracle and/or another complex database platform; plus two years of experience in working with and developing systems utilizing GIS platforms such as ESRI's ArcGIS Desktop or Server software suites; or performing GIS modeling (e.g., relationship classes, topologies, 3-D, object, data) and spatial analysis (e.g., proximity analysis, image analysis, routing analysis).
- Bachelor's and / or master's degree in GIS, geography, computer science, engineering, land surveying, or related field.
- Four or more years of progressive professional experience, preferably with esri products, in the following:
- modeling, editing, analyzing, and managing GIS data in a versioned Oracle Enterprise Geodatabase using SQL, PL/SQL, etc;
- developing ArcGIS desktop add-ins, extensions, and scripts using ArcObjects.NET, python, ModelBuilder, etc;
- performing advanced geospatial analysis and cartographic design using ArcGIS Pro, ArcMap, Insights, etc.
- Two or more years of progressive professional experience in the following: managing and leading geospatial projects and tasks including stakeholder engagement, requirements gathering and analysis, scope development, iterative development and delivery, change management, training delivery, acceptance and closing, and operational sustainment.
- Experience with public works-related GIS data and workflows (e.g., stormwater, wastewater, solid waste, urban forestry, capital improvement projects, etc.).
- GISP or other relevant professional certification and / or license.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES REQUIRED:
NECESSARY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS:
The appointee to this position will be required to complete a criminal background. This position is designated as emergency service personnel. Employees in positions designated as emergency service personnel must be available twenty-four hours a day/seven days a week (24/7) to respond on an as-needed basis.
Ability to input, access, and retrieve information from a computer. Visual acuity to review detailed drawings, plans and documents. Work is generally sedentary, performed in a normal office environment. All duties performed with or without reasonable accommodations.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com