GROW WITH US
As the largest 100% employee-owned company in the resource recovery industry, Recology has a unique workplace culture that guides how we support employees, interact with our customers, service our communities, and care for our environment.
We encourage Recology employees to G.R.O.W. with Us professionally and personally by:
- Giving back to our communities and our environment by volunteering time and resources
- Recovering resources to achieve their best and highest use
- Exhibiting Ownership in a company that does the right things for the right reasons, ensuring that our actions benefit the company, the communities we serve, and our environment.
- Working together to develop camaraderie and facilitate collaboration. By demonstrating an inclusive attitude that values different backgrounds and ideas, we can get the job done.
You can G.R.O.W. with Us by becoming our Environmental Program Specialist 1
The Environmental Program Specialist provides broad environmental compliance services to the corporation and review of operating company level environmental management activities. Regularly instructs and direct helpers by assigning, reviewing, and checking work. This position receives regular review by supervisor.
ESSENTIAL RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE, AND ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
- Assists in developing and implementing Corporate environmental policies and procedures.
- Supports the Company environmental information management system by serving as an IT liaison to manage user access and provide initial user support and training. Ensures timely input of action items into the system, runs and analyzes reports, periodically reviews regulation-based tasks to ensure system is accurate and complete, and acts as system helpline for users.
- Acts as a technical resource and provides oversight assistance for the water quality (stormwater, groundwater and surface water), air quality, waste (solid, hazardous, universal, and special waste), and organics management programs.
- Conducts environmental compliance evaluations of operating companies to ensure compliance with permits, operations and maintenance plans, and regulations. Coordinates with site operations and environmental staff to resolve issues.
- Assists in Phase I and II environmental site assessments by external consultants as part of due diligence activities. Assists in environmental compliance reviews for potential acquisitions.
- Facilitates training of local personnel responsible for environmental compliance.
- Administers or supports Corporate-sponsored environmental training programs. Sources and contracts with external trainers. Reviews and evaluates outline and content of training programs and makes necessary changes to meet Company requirements.
- Conducts environmental due diligence as part of contract process for hazardous waste and universal waste vendors.
- Communicates with senior management about environmental compliance at operating companies. Prepares periodic written reports.
- Travels to multiple locations for site visits and environmental compliance evaluations.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- One year of experience in compliance and/or permitting areas preferred.
- Experience with solid and/or hazardous waste preferred.
- Valid Driver’s License.
IDEAL CANDIDATE - The qualifications listed are typical of the knowledge, skills, and abilities of successful employees within this classification.
- Technical and professional principles, practices, laws, applications and programs in environmental compliance.
- Current developments and trends in areas of expertise.
- Computer programs, including Microsoft Office suite of applications.
Skill and/or Ability to:
- Ability to promote the WASTE ZERO philosophy by making the best and highest use of all resources as well as finding ways to use waste products in ways that benefit the environment.
- Define issues and focus on achieving workable solutions; generate innovative ideas to develop or improve existing systems.
- Demonstrate ability to use computers and technology capabilities.
- Demonstrate strong proficiency and knowledge in area(s) of expertise as well as company business.
- Communicate well both verbally and in writing; listen to and understand various viewpoints; share relevant information timely; provide constructive feedback; maintain professionalism.
- Present ideas effectively to individuals or groups and deliver presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
- Effectively and productively engage with others and establish trust, credibility, and confidence.
- Promote collaboration and assist others with their initiatives and efforts.
- Consistently build and share knowledge and expertise about current job through reading, new experiences, and exposure to new ideas.
- Listen to and build customer relationships; increase customer satisfaction and ensure commitments are met.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com