What we’re looking for…
A Sustainable Design & Engineering intern to work within the department that is responsible for analyzing and integrating sustainability opportunities into design and engineering projects. The Sustainability team is part of WDI Environmental Design & Engineering Studio. This Studio provides the comprehensive and long-term planning services that educate, inform, and guide our domestic business partners and global portfolio leaders.
What we're looking for...
This intern will be primarily responsible for assisting with sustainable design integration within WDI, including supporting projects in identifying and evaluating sustainability-related technologies and inspiring individuals to generate solutions for their disciplines. This role requires applying sustainability science to decision making to ensure ongoing improvement of the environmental impacts of the products we design, build, and operate.
- Broad understanding of sustainable design and the multi-disciplinary nature of sustainability
- Willingness to conduct extensive research and experiment creatively to find solutions and recognize when re-direction is required
- Experience researching green design alternatives and design for environment opportunities for integration into new designs
- Experience analyzing energy, water and/or resource conservation measures
- Experience in energy and/or environmental economics
- Ability to analyze and translate complex environmental findings (waste, water resources management, climate change and renewable energy) into common sense communications
- Strong technical and analytical skills
- Experience in data science and analytics
- Proficient in data analytics tools (e.g. Power BI, Tableau)
- Proficient in Apple Keynote and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Basic computer programming knowledge and ability to quickly learn new software tools
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to create effective presentations and deliver them to diverse audiences with differing communication styles
- Experience working with collaborative teams managing and completing project deliverables
- Self-starter with positive attitude and strong work ethic
- Experience using energy modeling software (e.g. IESVE, TRACE 700, EnergyPro, eQuest, EnergyGauge)
- Experience using 3D modeling software (e.g. SketchUp, SolidWorks, Revit, AutoCAD)
- Familiarity with local jurisdiction building codes (e.g. ASHRAE 90.1, California Title-24, Florida Building Code)
- Thorough knowledge of building science and green building rating systems (e.g. LEED, BREEAM, China Three Star (GBEL))
- Experience performing environmental life-cycle assessments (LCA) and financial life-cycle cost analysis (LCCA)
- Experience using LCA tools (e.g. GaBi, SimaPro, openLCA)
- Ability to perform LCA and LCCA in more than one product area, particularly of complex or diverse systems
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator)
Currently enrolled as a Junior or higher, or graduated within the past 6 months, from an accredited college/university, earning a degree majoring in a scientific, engineering, economics, environmental studies or architecture field.
Continued education and/or advanced studies in a scientific, engineering, economics, business, environmental studies or architecture field.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com