The NYC Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) protects public health and the environment by supplying clean drinking water, collecting and treating wastewater, and reducing air, noise, and hazardous materials pollution. DEP is the largest combined municipal water and wastewater utility in the country, with nearly 6,000 employees. We deliver 1.1 billion gallons of high quality drinking water per day to 8.3 million New York City residents and more than 1 million people in Upstate New York, and we collect and treat an average of 1.3 billion gallons of wastewater per day.
As stewards of nearly 14 percent of New York City’s land, NYC Parks builds and maintains clean, safe, and accessible parks citywide and programs those sites with recreational, cultural, and educational activities for people of all ages. Through this work, NYC Parks improves people’s lives, providing outlets for creative expression, opportunities for healthy recreation, and exposure to the restorative beauty of the natural world.
The Division of Capital Projects, which is charged with the design and construction of Parks, is looking for a civil service Civil Engineer I to design and manage green infrastructure projects funded by the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP). Under general supervision, the candidate will perform civil engineering work of moderate to complex difficulty and responsibility including the following:
• Prepares designs, drawings, specifications, and estimates for DEP funded green infrastructure.
• Sign and seal engineering plans and other official documents related to green infrastructure.
• Advises during design scoping/coordination phase as to the viability of including DEP funded green infrastructure to Parks’ Capital Projects.
• Perform pre-scope site visits, field investigations, and site inspections.
• Review and approval of green infrastructure designs developed by DEP consultants for conformity with NYC Parks’ standards and procedures.
• Perform pre-scope site visits, field investigations, and site inspections for both DEP and NYC Parks initiated green infrastructure projects.
• Perform mathematical and engineering calculations, including hydraulic analysis, and quantity and cost estimates.
• Management/Coordination of engineering consultants tasked with green infrastructure design.
• Prepare design submittal packages for DEP Office of Ecological Services, Green Infrastructure Design, Research and Development. Including engineering design calculation report, responses to comments, estimates, and drawings.
• When directed, sign and seal engineering plans and other official documents related to green infrastructure.
• Familiar with soil principles and function, familiar with hydraulic functions, ability to evaluate field investigation reports, and general design and construction principles.
• Strong Microsoft Word and Excel skills are required.
• CAD and/or GIS are preferred.
**You must be a civil service Civil Engineer in title or have and passed the Civil Engineer exam #7037. Other applications will not be considered.**
Minimum Qual Requirements
(1) Four (4) years of full-time, satisfactory experience in civil engineering work; and
(2) A valid New York State Professional Engineer’s License. Current New York State registration as a Professional Engineer must be maintained for the duration of your employment.
A masters degree in civil engineering from an accredited college or university, accredited by regional, national, professional or specialized agencies recognized as accrediting bodies by the U.S. Secretary of Education and by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) may be substituted for one year of the civil engineering experience required in “1" above.
In addition to above qualification requirements, to be eligible for placement in Assignment Levels II and III, individuals must have at least one year within the last three years of experience as a major contributor or a project leader on a complex project requiring additional and specific expertise in the disciplines needed to design or construct the project.
The ideal candidate should have the following skills;
1. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and AutoCAD.
2. Ability to read and interpret design and construction drawings as well as other contract documents.
3. Excellent communication, verbal and writing skills.
4. Excellent administrative and inter-personal skills.
5. Ability to conduct research, solve problems and pay attention to technical details.Additional InformationDEP is an equal opportunity employer with a strong commitment to the diversity of our organization and workforce. Your voluntary response to the NYCAPS on-line application section for referral information will assist us tremendously in our ability to track the success of our outreach and recruitment efforts. Please be sure to indicate your source of referral to this job.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com