NRDC is seeking a New Jersey Clean Energy Advocate to join the Eastern Region team of the Climate and Clean Energy Program, to be based in NRDC’s New York office. This role requires experience working collaboratively and in a team-based setting with both internal and external partners, ability to represent NRDC in the media and other public forums with credibility and enthusiasm, interest in cultivating relationships with state and local officials, the executive branch and agencies, and a willingness to travel to Trenton, NJ and elsewhere to advance NRDC’s policy goals.
- Serve in a leadership role for NRDC in New Jersey to build support at the state level to advance the organization’s climate and clean energy policy priorities;
- Strengthen, develop and nurture relationships with state decision-makers and elected officials, and build durable partnerships with a network of allies;
- Coordinate with and represent NRDC in broad coalitions of New Jersey-based environmental stakeholders;
- Provide written and oral advocacy to further NRDC’s priorities with the New Jersey legislature, the executive branch, the Board of Public Utilities and state agencies;
- Serve as the key New Jersey spokesperson in the press for NRDC’s climate and clean energy mission, including partnering with the Communications team to respond to media requests and to develop advocacy materials to amplify NRDC’s message;
- Collaborate with a multi-faceted internal team of campaign, communications, public engagement, and policy experts at NRDC to further the organization’s state and federal policy priorities;
- Work with the Climate and Clean Energy Program’s Eastern Region Directors and other members of the team, as appropriate, to set strategic goals and priorities for New Jersey, budgets and timelines, and effectively manage a state budget and deploy consultants and partners to meet project timelines and objectives;
- Conduct policy research and analysis to develop and support positions;
- Collaborate with other NRDC staff and diverse stakeholders on regional efforts to advance multi-state climate and clean energy policies such as the Transportation Climate Initiative (TCI) and Regional Greenhouse Gas Initiative (RGGI);
- Coordinate utility outreach efforts in the Mid-Atlantic to advance our clean energy goals;
- Be a central part of a strong and collegial team that is focused on collaboration, approaches advocacy with innovation and optimism, and is committed to using the full range of expertise within NRDC and among its partners to drive change.
- Master’s Degree or equivalent experience in relevant field;
- 7-12 years’ experience related to environment, climate or energy policy;
- Experience building and cultivating relationships at the governmental, regulatory, or legislative levels, as well as demonstrated success managing projects and engaging in public advocacy may substitute for policy expertise;
- Track record of success in navigating diverse coalitions, building consensus on policy issues and driving toward positive outcomes within a team, in a coalition, and with other external partners;
- A sense of mission and passion for public interest and environmental advocacy;
- Interest in state and federal political issues;
- Broad-based interest in climate and clean energy work, including the ability to quickly get up to speed on NRDC’s policy and campaign priorities;
- Ability to represent NRDC with maturity, judgment and professionalism;
- Strong oral and written advocacy skills, including the ability to represent NRDC in a variety of public forums and in the media;
- Willingness and ability to register as a state lobbyist;
- Flexibility to travel to Trenton, NJ, as well as to other NRDC offices and U.S. locations as needed.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender identity and expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com