NOTES: Hours will be scheduled on an as-needed basis. Flexible hours (seasonal operations run 7 days per week). Estimated 0-30 hours per month. Duties include assisting current Newman Lake Flood Control/Aerator Technician with monitoring equipment and facilities, recording data, reading lake and stream level gages and receiving alum deliveries. Mileage reimbursed. Cell phone reimbursed up to $25/mo. This is an extra help vacancy (no benefits).
APPLICANTS LIMITED TO THOSE RESIDING IN THE NEWMAN LAKE FLOOD CONTROL ZONE DISTRICT OR IN CLOSE PROXIMITY.
This is entry level engineering technical support work in the field or office under close supervision.
Examples of Duties
(These duties are representative only; position assignments may vary. Duties may include but are not limited to the following:)
Assists on survey crew as brush cutter, stake-driver or flag person and performs various survey duties as instructed.
Assists on construction inspection crew; as ticket writer/receiver, load counter or other duties as directed by the supervising inspector. Assists materials inspector in taking samples.
Performs limited mathematical calculations such as computing elevations from survey field notes.
Plots road profile and cross section elevations, measures cross section end areas with a planimeter; traces and draws on less complex engineering drawings; operates calculators (EDP equipment) and various drafting equipment.
Performs inventories, data gathering, checking and input for systems such as traffic, drainage, GIS, GPS. Works with CRIS, GIS systems on data input and output regarding inventory system. Researches records for past inventories, sorts and analyzes. Locates, identifies, photographs, categorizes, measures, and otherwise describes various aspects of the management system that may include guardrail, drainage, utilities, signs and other objects. Performs calculations, traffic counts, or other engineering analyses as necessary to determine the adequacy of these items.
Installs traffic control signs and pavement markings, and maintenance of electrical traffic control devices.
Picks up and delivers plans, equipment, supplies, etc., by foot or vehicle.
Performs other related duties as required.
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: High School diploma or equivalent and any related Post High School work experience, education and/or training which displays an ability to perform the work. Post High School work experience may be substituted for by completion of coursework in mathematics (arithmetic, algebra and geometry) and/or engineering for which college credit was earned.
LICENSE: Possession of a valid driver's license.
• mathematical computations;
• safety precautions;
• customer service techniques.
• make mathematical computations in arithmetic, algebra and geometry;
• learn to apply the concepts of trigonometry and physics as required by the position;
• learn to hand letter neatly and legibly in ink and/or in pencil;
• work outdoors for extended periods of time under all types of weather conditions;
• understand and closely follow verbal and written instructions;
• learn technical engineering procedures;
• deal with citizens in a calm courteous manner;
• follow written or oral instructions in a responsible and efficient manner;
• maintain effective working relations with fellow workers and supervisors;
• perform medium to heavy physical labor for extended periods time;
• operate tools and equipment in a safe manner.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com