He or she is responsible for complex technical work in a wide range of environmental disciplines. The Environmental Engineer will support day-to-day operations while managing a number of EHS processes and programs, serve as a point of contact for engineering teams (manufacturing, factory design, facility, etc.); ensure regulatory compliance, perform process risk assessments, conduct compliance audits, and implement EHS best practices. The engineer will play a key role in the sustainable design and operation of Tesla’s Gigafactory 1.
The overall charter is achieving compliance within the company’s and regulatory agencies’ standards in EHS. The candidate must work well on company expansion projects, self-initiated projects and those driven by concerns and issues reported by employees. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her knowledge of regulations, analytical abilities, organization skills, attention to detail and ability to solve problems.
The Environmental Engineer will report directly to the Associate EHSS Manager – Environmental Engineering. This position is based out of Sparks, NV and may involve some travel to other Tesla sites.
Roles and Responsibilities:
· Interprets, recommends and provides guidance for Federal EPA, State, and Local Environmental regulations.
· Interacts with Tesla Senior Leadership and representatives from regulatory agencies on audits and regulatory inquiries
· Manage the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection application process for all environmental related permits – Air, water, waste, land, etc.
· Excellent understanding of sustainability and environmental topics and fundamentals (such as: sustainable design, planning policy, waste, carbon/energy, responsible sourcing, water, land use change, biodiversity, and certification systems)
· Ensure hazardous waste management meets all federal, state, and local requirements. Focus on reducing waste generation from production lines.
· Manage system to control incoming chemicals onto site
· Ensure compliance with global harmonized system implementation and maintenance
· Develop, revise, and improve programs for industrial recycling
· Prepare environmental reports such as emissions tests, operational, Tier II, annual emissions estimates, annual waste disposal and treatment, TRI, etc.
· Assists in planning for changes in physical facilities, reviewing new or modified equipment and new manufacturing programs to meet regulatory and company requirements.
· Manages several EHSS compliance programs.
· Experience interacting with interdisciplinary project teams and international partners
· Participates in community and employee engagement activities.
· Provides technical solutions to a wide range of difficult problems. Solutions are imaginative, thorough, and practicable.
· Experience with data visualization and data analysis
· Leads projects and improvements.
· Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to communicate technical information in a concise way to a non-technical audience, and vice versa
· Ability to manage and organize multiple projects with competing priorities and different timescales (i.e.: checkpoints with long-term goals while completing shorter term goals)
· Demonstrated passion for environmental and sustainability practices, especially recycling and conservation of finite resources
Skills and Experience:
· BS in Environmental Engineering/related field or evidence of exceptional experience, MS preferred
· 7+ years of experience working in environmental compliance.
· Management System Lead Auditor Training (ISO14001)
· Experience permitting complex equipment in a Title V or Class I / II industrial environment.
· Experience developing, managing, and leading projects with aggressive timelines.
· HAZWOPER 40 certified
· RCRA certified
· CHMM and/or CEM certification a plus
· Excellent written and verbal skills including presentation skills are required
Aptitude for documentation and data analysis using MS Office programs, including Project, Excel, Word, and Power Point.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com