This position is responsible for driving regional environmental excellence by implementing and maintaining the strategic direction for a comprehensive world-class Environmental Program by providing tactical environmental compliance support to the sites. The position reports into the Environmental Center of Excellence within the EHS team and will provide direction and leadership in positioning their assigned sites as excellent corporate citizens and environmentally responsible operations. The person plays an important role in planning and implementing strategies, policies, standards, and driving compliance and management initiatives within the region. The person applies extensive and advanced technical expertise and related knowledge to resolve complex environmental compliance issues and provides innovative conventional or unconventional solutions. The person will apply knowledge of US Federal and multiple State regulations, and applicable regulatory requirements in the region for effective implementation of environmental programs and projects. The person must have ability to communicate effectively with key internal partners as well as with external partners such as consultants and regulatory agencies. The position serves as support to site and commercial management in company planning concerning existing, new or projected manufacturing operations, research and development activities and property transfers.
Based in Columbus, Ohio, Hexion Inc. is the global leader in thermoset resins. Through a broad range of thermoset technologies and specialty products, Hexion serves and supports customers in a diverse range of applications and industries.
Hexion materials are found in products that touch nearly every facet of modern living. At Hexion, we believe that leadership begins with integrity, ethics and environmentally sound operations. When you work for Hexion, you are partnering with a company that is not only focused on delivering value but on doing it in a safe, ethical and environmentally responsible manner.
Environmental Programs Operation
- Seeks continuous improvement of environmental programs within region, including environmental aspects, compliance risk assessments and due diligence efforts, and mitigation or elimination of business risks.
- Develops, leads and implements as warranted environmental management standards and performance improvement initiatives.
- Supports pollution prevention, reduction efforts in support of organization’s sustainability programs and goals.
- Identifies and deploys innovative technologies and best practices across organization.
- Reviews reporting and analysis on compliance program effectiveness and metrics.
- Manages investigations related to potential environmental incidents.
Auditing and Management Systems
- Plans, leads and participates in compliance assessments and management system audits and develops resolution of findings through partnership with regional and divisional site management teams.
- Provides internal support for planning, developing and implementing Responsible Care Management systems, their inter-relationships with the company management standards, and subsequent assessments of certification process.
Leadership and Capability Building
- Acts as a business partner to support senior operations and regional leadership as well as prioritizes environmental issues in reference to overall organization goals and objectives.
- Performs independently and exercises mature judgment in determining regulatory, technical and operational objectives of assignments/projects derived from prioritized environmental aspects.
- Provides expertise by interfacing between senior leadership and regional site teams to assure flawless execution of projects – supporting and contributing to overall organizational strategy.
- Seven years or more of broad based experience in Environmental Programs including but not limited to regulatory compliance, process, project management in regulated industries, preferably in chemical manufacturing.
- Proficiency in air regulations, calculations, and compliance
- Strong project management and leadership skills, and a self-starter
- Strong ability to prioritize, balance and manage multiple tasks simultaneously, adjust to changing priorities and make decisions with speed and accuracy based on available information.
- Unquestioned ethics and integrity including the ability to work on confidential matters.
- Ability to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization (up, down, laterally).
- Excellent organizational skills. Demonstrated attention to detail, project follow-through, and ability to meet targets and objectives both timely and with high quality.
- Ability to travel approximately 35-40% the time to other company operations regionally such as chemical manufacturing sites, distribution centers, and corporate offices for strategic and tactical assistance, audits, assessments, meetings, research, training or other purposes.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Science or related technical field.
We are an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender, minority status, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, status as a qualified individual with a disability or any characteristic protected by law.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com