General Description of Class
Perform entry level professional duties of moderate difficulty providing the opportunity for professional training in various offices throughout the City. Perform assigned duties to acquire knowledge of methods, procedures and standards required for successful performance. Specific activities vary by department. Work is performed under direct supervision.
Example of Duties
- Assist in developing environmental education and monitoring programs including classroom activities, outdoor interpretative signage, self-guided Wetland activities, and generating social media content.
- Assist with environmental classes, tours, and events (both at Se7en Wetlands and in the community).
- Conduct plant and animal surveys.
- Assist with native planting events and habitat management projects.
- Assist with water quality sampling, equipment maintenance, and data management.
- Provide professional support such as tracking and charting citywide performance measures; develop tracking methods and gathering performance data.
- Conduct special studies in conjunction with a project, analyzes data and makes recommendations based upon studies.
- Participation in the LEDC Summer Leadership Program is an encouraged opportunity of the internship if the student is interning during the summer
- Performs related work as required.
- Enrollment in or recent graduation from a degree seeking program in an accredited college or university in environmental science, biology, or a field related to the area of internship.
Required: Unofficial college transcript must be uploaded with application to confirm applicant's major.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative and effective relationships with supervisor, co-workers, other City employees and the general public.
- Knowledge of or ability to learn Microsoft Office Suites.
- Ability to create environmental content such as posters, flyers, social media posts, and interpretive signs.
- A basic knowledge in GIS is preferred.
- Skill in communicating effectively both verbally and in writing, and to request clarification when needed.
- Requires sedentary work that involves walking or standing some of the time, exerting up to 10 pounds of force on a recurring basis, routine keyboard operations.
- The job risks exposure to no significant environmental hazards.
- The job requires normal visual acuity, and field of vision, hearing and speaking.
All City of Lakeland positions are subject to testing (e.g. written, oral, performance, computerized, interview, and/or any combination). Candidates selected for testing will be notified via email or telephone. Please check your e-mail and telephone messages regularly, including "junk" folders. Test times and locations to be announced.
THE CITY OF LAKELAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/EQUAL ACCESS EMPLOYER AND A DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com