Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a full-time/temporary (30+ hrs a week/one year) Biological Field Technician in Glendive, MT.
Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
The successful candidate will be an independent self-motivated individual who is skilled in bird identification in shrub-steppe, grassland, and agricultural habitats and has previous experience conducting avian use surveys in the western US. The ideal candidate will be comfortable working in various (extreme) weather conditions and terrains and have a passion for the outdoors.
- Conduct avian use surveys and other seasonal wildlife surveys at a pre-construction wind energy project in eastern Montana
- Conduct standardized avian-use surveys; data collection will include use of detailed paper datasheets
- Field work will entail long hours of standing and observing, sometimes in inclement conditions and walking in varying terrain
This a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of all the duties which may be associated with this position
Start Date: immediate
Compensation: $17-20/hr DOE. Housing will be provided.
Project Length: One year. An extension for a second year is possible but not guaranteed.
- Must be willing/able to relocate immediately to Glendive, MT. Housing will be provided.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred
- Must be able to identify birds by sight and sound for species in the region; candidates experienced in bird identification will be given preference
- Previous experience on biological field studies and/or prior field experience preferred
- Skilled use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment is required• Applicants must be in good physical shape, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme• Must be able to maintain equipment• must be able to work independently and interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, clients, landowners, and other technicians
- Technician must be equipped with and provide own suitable footwear (rugged hiking boots, etc.), clothing, and binoculars
- Follow all WEST safety protocols Successful candidates must be able to pass a background check; a pre-employment drug screen; and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required. Candidates must adhere to all health and safety requirements. WEST is an employee owned organization with a tradition of professional integrity dedicated to a family atmosphere and a diverse workforce.
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive Medical (if working 30 or more hours a week)
- SEP/IRA (100% employer contributions, after initial eligibility requirements are met)
WEST provides equal employment opportunities to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. Further, WEST takes affirmative action to ensure that all individuals are treated fairly, and without discrimination, for recruitment, selection, advancement and every other term and privilege associated with employment.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com