Director, Investor Network
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses. For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Director plays a key relationship management role on the Investor Network. The Ceres Investor Network on Climate Risk and Sustainability is a group of more than 150 leading institutional investors with collective assets under management of over $17.3 trillion. We are looking for candidates who are strategic thinkers and understand U.S. institutional investment finance markets. The Ceres Investor Network is specifically looking for someone that will manage high-level engagement with institutional investors to recruit, retain and engage members of our Investor Network, primarily based on the East Coast. This full-time position is based in Boston, MA, and reports to the Senior Program Director of the Investor Network team.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to the following:
- Manage and deepen Ceres’ relationships with asset owners and asset managers, serving a dedicated portfolio of investors.
- Develop strategic plans for engaging priority members in Ceres initiatives and campaigns, supporting the members in integrating material ESG issues into their investment processes.
- Recruit strategic new asset owner and asset manager members to the Investor Network from both the U.S. and Canada and encourage their action on ESG issues.
- Promote “sustainable investment” policies and practices that incorporate environmental, social and governance (ESG) factors into the investment decision-making process.
- Manage or contribute to one or more Investor Network working groups and project work with investors.
- Partner with the Communications team in developing media messaging and communications materials, such as op-eds, press releases, reports, and blogs.
- Attend and participate in key investor meetings and events.
- Track Investor Network member progress and impact on sustainable investment metrics including implementation of 21st Century Investor Blueprint steps, new investment commitments, and participation in Ceres working groups utilizing the Ceres Salesforce platform.
- Make public presentations at investor conferences on ESG integration issues, low carbon/clean energy investment opportunities, Ceres policy priorities or other special topics of interest to Ceres and Investor Network members.
- Partner with Program Director in funder meetings and outreach to potential new funders, with the Ceres Development Team.
- Participate in planning and organizing Ceres annual conference and program events for both the Investor Network.
- Partner with Senior Program Director on team management and annual planning.
- Train and supervise other Investor Network team staff or interns.
- Travel as necessary for relationship management purposes.
- Bachelor degree required.
- Graduate degree in business, environment, law or public policy preferred.
- At least ten years of work experience, preferably direct experience working in investment sector on sustainability-related issues. Knowledge of climate and energy issues desirable.
- An understanding of institutional investors and financial markets.
- Demonstrated experience with relationship management.
- Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
- Strong writing skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, especially with senior-level executives.
- Public speaking skills.
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Successful record of organizing multiple projects, delivering on time, and the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- 3+ years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff development.
- Desire to work in a not-for-profit, advocacy-focused organization.
- Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
- Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, and e-mail computer applications.
- Interest and willingness to be trained on specific applications necessary for work: ReadyTalk, Salesforce, listserv program, Bloomberg Terminal, etc.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.