NRDC is seeking a Climate Advisor to work with the City of Saint Paul as part of the American Cities Climate Challenge (ACCC). The American Cities Climate Challenge is an unprecedented opportunity for 20 ambitious cities to significantly deepen and accelerate their efforts to tackle climate change and promote a sustainable future for their residents. The Climate Advisor will work with city officials to assist with the execution of initiatives designed to advance carbon reductions through policies and programs focused primarily on transportation with potential to work on buildings and energy. The Climate Advisor will be part of a network of similar positions located in cities across the country to support these building, energy, and transportation initiatives and will therefore be engaged at the local, regional, and national levels to advance the city’s goals. The position will interface with key influencers and decision-makers within city government, the real estate and transportation sectors, utility companies, industry, and other organizations in the community.
This is a limited term role through 12/31/2020
Learn more about the ACCC at:https://www.bloomberg.org/program/environment/climatechallenge/
- Project Management: Develop and execute a detailed work plan to implement the city’s plans for climate mitigation through transportation and buildings policies and programs with expertise in performance management. Implement the city’s Mobility Hub Project (electric vehicle sharing hubs) and transportation behavior change/incentives work, possibly coordinate the city’s building efficiency initiatives.
- Stakeholder Outreach and Management: Lead various work streams including but not limited to outreach to stakeholders, both internal to city government and the broader community of private sector, non-profit, philanthropic, and community partners; drafting internal and public-facing documents; navigating internal city processes in coordination with our partners; develop public outreach and engagement strategies for transportation priorities including bicycle and pedestrian networks and incentive programs to transform commuter behaviors. Incorporate the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color and low-income communities, in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a decision-making process.
- Education and Policy Engagement: Educate city stakeholders and the local community on the importance of addressing climate change through transportation and buildings policies and programs. Successfully support sustainability measures in the face of competing city priorities. Provide legislative review and policy research and analysis, with a focus on transportation policies and programs, specifically low carbon mobility, and energy efficiency in buildings through municipal retrofits, energy codes enforcement and performance standards for existing buildings. Develop an engagement strategy to better represent Saint Paul residents and stakeholders on climate issues, focusing on frontline communities that are often underrepresented in civic forums.
- Network Development: Develop and manage strong relationships with the city government, key stakeholders, and partners in the community, especially City of Minneapolis resiliency staff. Maintain appropriate communication and information flow with community partners.
- Challenge Participation: Actively participate in the ACCC network of cities. This includes joining regularly scheduled calls, participating in online trainings, and attending in-person convenings. Identify ways to leverage relationships with other ACCC cities, especially the City of Minneapolis to increase impact.
Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s degree preferred
At least 3 years of advocacy experience on climate and transportation policy. Additional experience with buildings or clean energy policy preferred.
Experience working at the city level preferred
Exceptional strategic thinking, analytical, and interpersonal skills
Experience managing projects in a team setting, including developing project plans and managing timelines
Experience working at the intersection of equity and environment preferred
Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders to achieve goals.
Excellent writing skills, strong verbal communication, and confident public speaker with an ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com