Be part of the driving force that sustains Prospect Park, Brooklyn’s Flagship Park. Founded in 1987, Prospect Park Alliance is the non-profit organization that sustains, restores and advances Prospect Park, "Brooklyn's Backyard," in partnership with the City. The Alliance provides critical staff and resources that keep the Park green and vibrant for the diverse communities that call Brooklyn home. The Prospect Park Alliance seeks a full-time Assistant Gardener at Lakeside.
Reporting to the Lakeside Lead Gardener, the Assistant Gardener will work as part of a crew to maintain and advance the horticultural areas, lawns, and trees around the LeFrak Center at Lakeside in Prospect Park. In the winter, this position may report to other supervisors on a temporary basis to carry out arboricultural, horticultural, and/or snow removal tasks.
- Herbaceous perennials spring cut-back with manual and power tools
- Hand weeding and weed whacking
- Mulching, pruning and general plant care
- Assisting with the leadership of volunteer groups
- Planting and transplanting trees, shrubs & and herbaceous plugs
- Lawn installation, renovation, over-seeding and care
- Irrigation installation, maintenance, operation of automated systems and hand watering of new plantings
- Loading and unloading plant materials onto and from transportation vehicles
- Propagate plants by division, from seed or cuttings
- Other greenhouse tasks such as watering as well as repairs and improvements to a small greenhouse structure, cold frames and an irrigation system
- Fall leaf removal and leaf shredding with rakes, blowers, mowers, etc.
- Winter snow removal with shovels, snow blowers and ice-melting salt
- Trash, plant debris and invasive species removal
- Interaction with park patrons in a professional and courteous manner
- In winter months this position may be called upon to participate in tree work activities working under the Arboriculture Supervisor. Such activities may include operating a chipper, chainsaw, working with ropes and other tree work devices, carrying and removing woody debris, and maintaining arboricultural tools and equipment
- Two or more years of horticultural or landscaping experience
- Degree or Certificate in Horticulture preferred
- Positive, self-motivated, problem-solver and possessing a strong work ethic
- Experience with mowers, string trimmers, blowers, etc.
- Experience with a chainsaw, chipper, hedge-trimmer, front-loader tractor and back-hoe a plus
- Strong plant and weed identification skills, curiosity about and a passion for the plant world
- Automated irrigation system knowledge a plus
- Punctual with excellent attendance
- Ability to lift 50 lbs on a regular basis and to work outside in all weather conditions
- Ability to effectively communicate with others including staff, volunteers, and the public
- Desire to learn from various coworkers and supervisors and an approach that fosters ongoing learning
- Valid New York State Driver’s License
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com