NRDC is seeking a Climate Advisor to work with the City of Cincinnati as part of the American Cities Climate Challenge (ACCC). The American Cities Climate Challenge is an unprecedented opportunity for 20 ambitious cities to significantly deepen and accelerate their efforts to tackle climate change and promote a sustainable future for their residents. The Climate Advisor will work with city officials to assist with the execution of initiatives designed to advance carbon reductions through policies and programs focused primarily on buildings and energy with potential to work on transportation. The Climate Advisor will be part of a network of similar positions located in cities across the country to support these building, energy, and transportation initiatives and will therefore be engaged at the local, regional, and national levels to advance the city’s goals. The position will interface with key influencers and decision-makers within city government, the real estate sector, utility companies, industry, and other organizations in the community.
Location: Cincinnati, OH
This is a limited term role through 12/31/2020
Learn more about the ACCC at: https://www.bloomberg.org/program/environment/climatechallenge/
- Project Management: Develop and execute a detailed work plan to implement the city’s plans for climate mitigation through buildings and energy policies and programs with expertise in performance management.
- Stakeholder Outreach and Management: Lead various work streams including but not limited to outreach to stakeholders, both internal to city government and the broader community of private sector, non-profit, philanthropic, and community partners; drafting internal and public-facing documents; navigating internal city processes in coordination with our partners; develop public outreach and engagement strategies for buildings and energy priorities including Renewable energy contracting/procurement, power purchase agreements, virtual power purchase agreements, energy efficiency programs, and electric vehicle charging infrastructure; Oversee implementation of renewable energy and energy efficiency programs, including contract management, project implementation, and tracking program metrics. Experience incorporating the perspectives of multiple communities, including communities of color, in the consideration of impacts and outcomes of a decision-making process.
- Education and Policy Engagement: Educate city stakeholders and the local community on the importance of addressing climate change through transportation and buildings policies and programs. Successfully support sustainability measures in the face of competing city priorities. Provide legislative review and policy research and analysis, with a focus on buildings and energy policies and programs, building energy benchmarking, low income energy efficiency programs, and renewable energy contracting agreements. Develop an engagement strategy to better represent Cincinnati residents and stakeholders on climate issues, focusing on frontline communities that are often underrepresented in civic forums.
- Network Development: Develop and manage strong relationships with the city government, key stakeholders, and partners in the community. Maintain appropriate communication and information flow with community partners.
- Challenge Participation: Actively participate in the ACCC network of cities. This includes joining regularly scheduled calls, participating in online trainings, and attending in-person convenings.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field; Master’s degree preferred
At least 3 years of advocacy, project management, and contracting experience on climate and transportation policy. Additional experience with buildings clean energy, or transportation policy preferred.
Experience working at the city level preferred
Exceptional strategic thinking, analytical, and interpersonal skills
Experience managing projects in a team setting, including developing project plans and managing timelines
Experience working at the intersection of equity and environment preferred
Experience collaborating with diverse stakeholders to achieve goals.
Excellent writing skills, strong verbal communication, and confident public speaker with an ability to present to diverse audiences, specifically racially, ethnically, and socioeconomically diverse communities.
Remember to say you found this opportunity at EnvironmentalCareer.com