SNC-Lavalin’s Atkins business seeks an energetic and highly motivated self-starter to join our Water Resource East Practice as Water Resources Lead for our New York regional technical practice and team. This position will be based in our midtown NYC office.
The initial role for this candidate will be to lead the water resources related technical delivery for major transportation and intermodal (airport) improvement projects, including mega projects and Design/Build in the NY/New England area. The individual will have responsibility for the integrated delivery of stormwater design and permitting aspects, including: managing a complex team of inhouse staff and subconsultants; interdisciplinary coordination with other technical leaders and teams; effective management of project resources, schedule and budget; and effective representation of Atkins with the project Architect, Owner, Contractor and company leadership. Longer-term, the role will provide technical expertise and leadership for our Water Resources practice for the NY/New England area, including: staff leadership and management; supporting business development and opportunity capture in the region; providing senior level project management; and, oversight and implementation of our QA/QC policies and program.
- Manages the staff, operations, and business development coordination activities of a water resources engineering team.
- Work involves coordination, research and problem solving on a variety of engineering projects, which may include unique and/or controversial issues, the solution of which has an important effect on major projects and/or programs.
- Provides expertise for diverse water engineering activities throughout the area of responsibility, nationally, and/or company-wide.
- May function as project manager, lead engineer and/or technical consultant.
- Upholds engineering ethics and standards of conduct.
- Provide leadership, direction and guidance to the water team to enhance the capabilities of the team.
- Mentors staff to achieve higher levels of success within the organization and the industry.
- Responsible for achieving growth, financial success, quality, client satisfaction, and team performance and engagement goals.
- Coordinates with the regional business units and business development and sales units, to identify and strategize project pursuits, and coordinate resource requirements for proposals and engineering product production.
- Minimum of 9 years (preferably 15+ years) of experience with design of infrastructure storm water conveyance and management, including: large culverts, complex storm drain systems, bridge hydraulics, water quality and BMP’s, watershed modeling, open swales, scour, and stormwater management and erosion and sediment control, including associated permitting.
- BS in Civil Engineering or related field (Master's degree preferred).
- Prior leadership and management experience on large land development or infrastructure assignment.
- Design and client interaction experience with the Port Authority of NY and NJ, as well as the NY DEP and other regional permitting agencies.
- Previous large design-build project experience highly desired.
- Strong technical writing and communications skills, proven through technical proposal development, technical presentations, technical papers and/or participation in technical committees.
- Excellent technical and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to effectively coordinate with multiple disciplines.
- Proven ability to manage an engineering team and provide leadership to local and/or regional staff, as well as effectively coordinate with national level staff.
- Highly skilled at promoting the firm and negotiating advantageous contract terms.
- Must have business vision, excellent communication skills, and be able to represent the firm effectively to clients, key public officials, and the community in general.
- Marketing/business development and client management experience is preferred.
- Experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D software is preferred.
- Strong technical writing and communications skills are expected at this level, proven through technical presentations, technical papers and/or participation in technical committees.
- P.E. license in New York (or ability to obtain within 6 months of hire) is required.
Atkins offers its employees a robust rewards package which includes: a competitive salary; a broad benefits package including medical/RX, dental, vision, life, disability, legal, hospitalization and other valuable voluntary options; generous time-off programs; flexible work schedules; 401(k) with employer match; professional and career development opportunities through our corporate university, as well as a highly-regarded tuition reimbursement program; and an unmatched culture focused on client-service, quality, and tireless pursuit of excellence in all we do. Atkins is an equal opportunity, drug-free employer committed to diversity in the workplace. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.
Please view Atkins Equal Opportunity Statement here: